Chapter 24

Chase.

It wasn't the nightmare that woke me up this time. It was Levi who did instead.

I heard the shuffling of sheets as she got out of the bed, silently.

Her face was facing the mirror as she gazed at herself. She still wasn't aware that I was gazing at her too.

She starred herself for a while in the mirror.

What's wrong? I thought.

"Levi." I called.

She turns around with a sly expression on her face which made me to contemplate the sudden change in her mood.

Her green eyes didn't shine. Her face didn't glow. There were red puffy circles under her eyes. Her lips were dry and her face was.....wan.

My eyes grew wide as I watched her gloomy face.

"Levi, what's wrong?"

I quickly get up from the bed and find myself inches away from her. She followed my every move.

"Chase."

Her voice didn't held the spark. It was dull and tired and...broken.

I was beginning to worry now. Yeah, I know I was the one who wanted to see her sad and all but the thought drowned into the rat's urine when I saw Levi's face like that.

"Nightmare?" I ask, hoping this was just another bad dream and everything would be fine in the morning.

"No Chase." She grimaced in pain.

"What's wrong Levi?" I place my both the hands on her each side of the neck as my thumb caressed her cheeks, they were rough now.

"Promise me something Chase-" at this my ears perks up carefully. I had the intrigued expression that I was sure of. With shaking voice, she continues,

"-promise me that when something goes wrong you wouldn't go back to the person you were before."

Her words made no sense but her brooding expression made me think otherwise and I wondered what could possibly go wrong? And exactly Levi meant?

"What are you talking about Levi? What could possibly go wrong when you're with me?" I tried to cheer up the mood with the cheesy lines but then I regretted it because it wasn't the best time to be all cheesy when Levi was just standing inches away from me in tremble.

She shakes her head looking down.

"Just promise me." She mumbles.

I tilt her face up with my hands which were resting in the crook of her neck.

I watched her eyes which showed no emotion. They were empty. I push back the hair behind her ears as I gaze deep in her soul, or try to gaze at least.

"I promise you Levi. I wouldn't go back to the person I was before I met you."

I smiled down at her assuring but still her face remained the same.

"Promise you would quit smoking."

This time her expression turned into something else. I couldn't figure out what was that.

"What's with the promises?" I narrowed my eyes at her. What was wrong?

She shuts her eyes close tightly and bit her bottom lips.

"Just promise me." She emphasized on the word 'Promise' and it made me concern.

What the hell was bothering her?