Chapter 25: Like Mine

Darkness.

That’s all I could see. No forms, no shapes, just dark. My feet carried me as if they knew where they were going. I could hear my heart pulsing through my body. Slowly in the distance a figure appeared. I tried to walk faster, but my feet wouldn’t allow me. The figure didn’t move as I got closer. It was almost as if the figure had been waiting for me.

I finally stood next to the figure; it was a man. His back was turned from me, but the familiarity was facing me. I reached out to touch him, but before I could he turned around and faced me. His gray eyes searched my face with sadness in them. His hand cupped my face as he gazed at me.

“Be safe.” He whispered. His thumb stroked my cheek. “I care too much about you to lose you.”

He kissed my forehead, starred into my eyes with his aged gray eyes, and slowly walked away.

My eyes slowly opened as I woke up. My stomach dropped as the words repeated in my mind. I looked over at a sleeping Charlie. His snores were deep but soft. I ran my fingers through his hair; he needed a hair cut, but was still handsome. 

I glanced over at the clock and it read 6:09 AM. I slowly got out of bed trying not to wake up Charlie. He stirred a little, but didn’t fully wake up. I crawled in the shower and let the hot water wash away my dream. Those eyes were all I kept seeing. He had aged so much from all the stress he had been put through, and my chest tightened when I thought about what he was forced to become.

My thoughts were broken when there was a knock at the door. At first it didn’t register as a knock until it happened again. My breathing become labored at the sound of the knocking.

“Babe…” Charlie knocked again. “I need to pee. Can I come in?”

“Yeah.” I yelled over the water. For some reason I was thinking of another person knocking at the door.

Charlie came in, did his business, and stupidly flushed the toilet turning my warm water into scorching hot. I finished my shower and got to drying my hair. I put on a little make up, and threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. 

As Charlie showered I cooked some breakfast. I felt like I couldn’t stop moving my hands, and if I did I would start thinking. Thinking before you were about to meet your long lost father was not a good thing. At times I had to stop and remember to breathe. I couldn’t believe this day had come, and thinking about this made me want to throw up.

It was 8:47 AM when we decided it was time to head out. I took a deep breath as I took  Charlie’s hand apparated to Scotland. Everything was green and looked out of a fairy tale book. We were near a bakery and the smell of fresh bread overtook us.

“You ready for this?” Charlie looked down at me.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” I squeezed his hand tighter as we walked towards the small village up ahead.

We really didn’t know what we were looking for, only who. We decided to stop inside a small pub and see if anyone knew anything. It was a good thing we stopped in there, I really needed a drink to relax me.

“What can I get cha?” Asked a dark haired man with a thick Scottish accent. 

“Two Fire Whiskeys please.” Replied Charlie.

“Bit early to be drinkin’ don’t you think?” The bartender joked.

“Not for me it isn’t.” I replied with a smile.

“Got yourself a keeper there Laddy!” He gave Charlie a wink and he passed our drinks to us. “Enjoy!” And with that he walked away.

I drank a huge gulp, feeling it burn down my throat. Charlie took sips of his drink, but wasn’t chugging it the way I was. The drink seemed to calm my nerves a bit, but I couldn’t stop my hands from moving. Charlie grabbed my hand and stroked it with his thumb. He looked into my eyes and gave me a reassuring smile.