||Chapter Seventeen||

||Darcie||

"Darcie, so good to see you," Dan said, his voice sickly saccharine. He was wearing a suit, informally like always, the tie loosened and the shirt fell short of a few buttons.

"Leave me alone!" Is what I tried to say, but it only came out as incoherent mumbles because of the gag. I was still laying on the cold basement floor; my head was pounding and I was shaking. My breath coming through the gag ragged and shallow.

He laughed at my attempt and walked over painfully slow. "You know Darcie... Over the years you've caused quite a lot of problems," he started, getting closer to me, "you know you'll have to pay for what you did,"

I knew it couldn't have been just me slapping him for him to be this hostile against me. All this time, he was building this up, counting every problem, every sarcastic quip, every threat I made to report them to the police. He saw me as nothing more than a nuisance and a threat to his organized operation. He wanted to do this a long time ago.

I was crying now, fear racking my body at its core. I tried to speak once more but nothing but garbled foolishness came out, enhanced by my crying. I felt so weak. So vulnerable.

He finally got to me, he knelt down and started stroking me cheek with a single finger, "no doubt that idiot Red-fire did this," he said noting my reddened and possibly bruised cheeks. I knew he was always this 'sweet' and 'concerned' before his true side came out. This façade was only to throw me off, so when he switches moods he catches me off guard and instills more fear in me. I saw this ploy once when I showed up at Dan's hide out unannounced to check if he received my deposit but I got met with him hovering around a tied up red head in the, speaking to her in sweetest of ways. Then suddenly he snapped, like a pitbull with bipolar disorder.

"Here, let me get rid of this thing for you," he said as he reached around my head to untie the gag.

All the while I was shaking in fear and sobbing softly. The gag was finally removed and it took my all not to spit in his face and tell him to go to hell, despite my vulnerable state. Instead I said, "Don't do this Dan," I cursed inwardly at how small and frail my voice sounded, I hated sounding this weak.

"Oh but I can't stop now Darcie," he said still kneeling before me, " things are already in motion," he then started getting up and grabbed my hair pulling me to my knees.

Just then, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Both Dan and I looked up to see one of his goons coming down. He approached us and gave Dan a knowing look. "Area's all clear," he said.

"Good," Dan said, "Although I was hoping for Jones to be here by now,"

Amelia.

I couldn't help but think about her. What she's doing right now. There's so many things that I haven't said to her that I wanted to, I never told her how beautiful I truly think she is, how much she means to me, she means the world to me, everything to me, everything I could ever want and now all I can do is think about all these unsaid things. The loudest silence of unsaid words.

I remained quiet as Dan and the other goon spoke, who's name I heard to be Phil. At least he has a normal name.

"Darcie was walking alone when we got her," Phil spoke, "Better than none, right?" He chuckled somewhat nervously, probably afraid of Dan's answer.

"You brought the most important one," Dan said, turning to me, "so you and her tried to run away and hide huh? Don't you know you should never run away from your problems because it only makes it worse?"

So many things were running through my head but I couldn't form an understandable thought, much less string two words in a sentence together. I opened my mouth and closed it tightly, still trying and failing to say something.

"What? Cat got your tongue Darcie?" He mocked, "say something!"

I looked at the now growing fury in his eyes because of my lack of participation, he pulled tighter on my hair. I swallowed deeply as I looked in his eyes. I must look like a small, timid mouse at his disposal right now and that made me angry. With that newfound emotion I spoke up, "You can go to hell!" I spat, impulsively. Stupidly.

He pulled my hair and brought my face closer to his. Craning my neck to look up at him. "You shut your fucking whore mouth," he seethed, his dark brown, soulless eyes, burning into mine. He backed away from me and reached into his blazer to pull something out.

A gun.

"I should've done this a long time ago," he said pointing it directly at me.

In that moment, my entire life flashed before my eyes. From the very beginning before this mess. I thought about my biological parents, I thought about how great my life was until that car crash, that sealed my fate that day. I thought about my days in the orphanage, I thought about how terrible it was until I met Amelia, she made me smile more, she gave me a reason to go on, she made me feel welcomed and loved, and even though at the time I hardly understood her, she still stuck by me until my departure. I thought about my adopted parents and Simon, I thought about how much benign neglect there was from my adoptive parents, how little they showed how they cared about Simon and I, but deep down I know they did, I thought about how much I craved their affection growing up. I thought about boarding school, my little experiments and flings there that were never as fulfilling as I wanted them to be. I thought about college in Paris, my life was almost back to normal, until I got the news of my parents sudden death. Loss racked me to my core and nothing was ever the same after that. I thought about flying back to the states for my parent's funeral. I thought about Dan finding me there and explaining the contract he and my parents signed that said next of lineage must continue with protocol if something were to happen.

I thought about seeing Amelia again, all that we've been through since then...and how much I love her.

All these thoughts rushed through my head in a matter of seconds as I prepared for what was next.

Suddenly, there was a yell upstairs. "What the hell?" Dan asked confused. We stayed quiet for a minute, Dan pointing down the gun to my relief, and turning to the stairs.

There was a full blown ruckus going on upstairs now and I could've sworn that I heard a faint sound Simon yelling, "Amelia!" But I wasn't sure if I was imagining things by now.

"The fuck is going on with those two?" Dan said, setting the gun on a small table and rushing up the stairs.

I dropped my head sighing thankfully that for now I was safe.

A/N: Thoughts? Predictions?