||Chapter Sixteen||

The drive on the way to Dan's hide out was a quiet one; grave. Everyone seemingly caught up with their thoughts, the steady hum of Simon's car being the only sound heard; apart from the occasional horn or yell of irate drivers. As the many cars zipped by our car, I looked out the window, taking in the scenery, bit by bit; the beautiful colors that adorned the trees blew elegantly in the steady, cool wind outside. While observing the outside, I couldn't help but feel a sensation of dread, deep within my gut that something was wrong. Of course Darcie not being here was wrong on its own but now...Now the feeling had doubled, a steady twang and tightness of anxiety filled my chest and radiated into my stomach. I turned to Simon with a grave face, "Something's wrong," I said erratically.

"What?" he said confused, glancing at me.

"Something's wrong, I just had a bad feeling and I just know something is happening to Darcie," I said, trying to maintain my composure but ultimately failing. My gut was something I always relied on in the streets, for survival. It has never once let me down; but now I hoped -prayed -that, for once, my intuition, known as my 'gut feeling' was wrong.

Celeste spoke up from the back, "Amee, maybe you're just nervous? I mean, this is a serious situation, and you're probably thinking about all the worse case scenarios in your head." She said.

She was right, I was thinking about the worst. Even though thinking the worst is what kept me alive all this time. I sat back in the car seat, trying to convince myself that I was over reacting and over thinking things. "You're right." I gave her a small pensive smile. We soon turned off road, into some rich autumn evergreens.

"We're almost there," Simon spoke as we drove further into the forestry. "We'll have to stop a few meters before we actually get to the cabin, we don't want Dan or his goons to hear us coming."

"Right," I agreed. "Celeste will be safe back here too." I said, giving her a sideways glance.

"Hey! I'm not a child yenno." She said exclaimed exasperatedly.

"Believe me, I know," Simon interjected, "But we can't put you at risk by having you there."

After driving up a little bit further, we came to a stop and pulled over off the pathway.

"Be careful you guys," Celeste spoke in an apprehensive tenor.

Simon and I looked at each other before nodding and gripping our guns, and then stepped out of the car. "It's just a bit further down the path," he said keeping his gun closely tucked by his side, we started creeping slowly and cautiously down the path, "Be prepared at all times, we never know if their lurking or walking around."

I squeezed my gun until my knuckles got white; fear creeping up on me, but I was pushed by my will to save Darcie. I thought for a moment before speaking, "How many do you think we're up against?" I asked.

"Two, maybe three," he said without looking at me. "That's not including Dan," Simon's eyes were pensive and brooding. He was hell-bent on saving Darcie -as was I.

"That's not so bad," I chuckled nervously, "Are we just going in there without a plan?" I asked. We never talked about a tactic to get in and out of the cabin and I though now was as good a time as any to ask about it.

"You know, I never thought of that. I thought we were just gonna bust in and wing everything."

I looked at him disbelievingly and elbowed him, "Winging it will get you killed!" I whispered harshly. "Here's what we're going to do, we're going to have to find a way to enter from the back -there's a back door right?"

He nodded, "Yeah,"

"OK, we're gonna have to find a way to get in from the back, no doubt Dan's henchmen are guarding the front," I spoke authoritatively, "we're gonna need to get in unseen, and find some place to hide, then find the right time to strike." I finished.