||Chapter Fourteen||

"What do you mean?! We're going to the fucking police!" I hissed at Celeste. It has been a whole ten minutes since Alex told us what happened and I've been distraught ever since.

"We can't! Darcie is apart of this drug smuggling ring from what you and her told me yesterday and if you do involve the police, she'll go down with Dan." Celeste spoke grabbing my shoulders to steady me, I had been pacing around the room.

"If we can't involve the police then what can we do?! Sit here helpless?!" I said as I started to pace around the room again. Darcie is in danger, Dan got her and I was beyond worried. I couldn't think straight. What if he hurts her? What if he... No, I couldn't even think about it. Anger surged through me and I balled my fists.

"We need a plan Amee! Just, you need to calm down so we can think!" She pressed.

"Think about what?! We're unarmed! We're outnumbered!" Tears prickled behind my eyes but I refused to let them fall. I fell back on the couch, resting my head in my hands, completely torn. "It's my fault! I should've stayed with her, I should've been more persistent." I groaned. I hated myself for letting this happen to her. If anything happened to her, I'd never forgive myself.

"No, Amee! Don't you dare blame yourself for this. If you went with her they would've taken you both-"

"I could've protected her!" I shouted, the tears of anger, self-hatred, fear and hurt flowing freely down my cheeks now. "I'll never forgive myself if anything happens to her!"

"Amee..." Celeste spoke softly, "nothing's gonna happen to her, we'll find her." I looked at her in amazement, I scoffed at her incredulously.

"How can we find her if we don't know where she is?!" Tears still flowed freely down my cheeks shamelessly, I was thinking about all the possible worse case scenarios.

"What do you mean? Don't you know where Dan's hide out is?" She asked confused.

I shook my head in my hands. "Dan isn't stupid enough to bring his marks to his headquarters, he always brings them to some obscure location and I don't know where that is." My heart sank even lower as I thought about never seeing Darcie again. Never hugging her, listening to her spew random factoids, hearing her laugh, seeing her smile again. More tears streamed as I hid my face in my hands. I lost her, to find her, to lose her again. This couldn't be happening.

"You really care about her don't you?" Celeste asked, her voice seemed almost wistful. I looked up to face her, my tears had stopped momentarily but still straining my cheeks.

"More than myself." I said, my voice shaky and trembling, as new tears started to form. Celeste has only seen me cry once, and that was they day she broke up with me. That day I was hurt and confused. Today, I was hurt, angry, confused and scared shitless.

"Then we'll find her Amee," she started, getting up from the couch, "we will OK." With that she got up and ran down the hall, I turned around to see that she was going to the guest room. I say there anxiously; my heart beating furiously in my chest, waiting for Celeste to come back. I dropped my hands back into my head and groaned.

"This is my fault..." I whispered to myself. Just then Celeste emerged out of the room, she came back to the couch with Darcie's phone.

"She left her phone, we can try to call uh, what's his name? Simon? To help us out." She said turning the phone on, then her face fell. "It's password locked..." Her face fell defeated but now that she mentioned Simon, I was anxious to get the phone unlocked and start moving forward.

"We have to figure this out and get to Simon, he needs to know what's going on." I said with a newfound sense of urgency.

"How? We don't know what she could've possibly have as her password." Celeste said falling back on the couch and giving me the phone.