Chapter 13

Next on our London list was meeting up with Allegra and Dan. I was so excited to finally go see Allegra and go shopping with her, I was nearly bouncing up and down in my seat from excitement. It was amazing to have one of your best girlfriends to hang out with, as Cara and Aliza were both at uni, I hadn't had a girl to talk to since forever. It was brilliant having a boyfriend and all, but sometimes it was just better to talk to a girl about boy problems and everything. A friend always listens.

Jack noticed and cracked a grin "Calm down, Scar, I'm already doing 80, were almost there."

"Thank you so much for doing this for me, Jack, you're the best." I gave him quick peck on the cheek so he wasn't too distracted.

"No problem, besides me and Dan have some catching up to do."

We drove the up to the BBC Radio building. Jack pulled over and parked the car. I got out and walked through the entrance. The interior was sleek and professional with very official looking people bustling about and different recording booths at every corner. I asked the front desk lady about Dan Howell. She heaved an annoyed sigh and pointed me to the couches in the corner.

"We can't just let anyone who comes in here right into the studio, miss. Sit there." I blushed red and made my way to the plushy leather couches. Hopefully Allegra and Dan would come out.

I drummed my hands on the coffee table and watched the lift intently. Jack was still trying to find a parking spot and I was not good when it came to patience.

Finally I saw the outline of bleach blonde hair and the tall, handsome figure of Dan beside her. Allegra made a shriek like a girl finding the perfect pair of shoes when she saw me and I did too. The whole lobby was staring our way but I didn't care. We hugged each other and I let go quickly for Dan's sake who was awkwardly still holding Allegra's hand.

We met eyes for a sec and I muttered "Hi." while patting my hair nervously. Dan and I hasn't really talked since the party unlike me and Allegra who have been talking and texting everyday.

She gave him a quick peck on the cheek ."Scarlett and I are going shopping. You and Jack can do whatever it is English boys do, okay?" She said while batting her eyelashes and twirling her hair. He nodded and returned the kiss. I admit I was a bit jealous of her. Allegra was so confident and pretty, it was hard not to be.

She winked at me and we walked out the door together. As soon as we were out of the building, the London air hit me like a wave with the temperature slowly dipping and the masses of tourists in every corner, already in winter coats. I was shivering in my thin jacket and dress.

"So... Harrods first?" She asked in the thick American accent that I always secretly giggled at.

I stared wide-eyed at her. "Harrods? How the hell are you going to afford that?"

She held up Dan's wallet with a grin and started to flag down a taxi. I kept staring. She really had this boy wrapped around her finger. I wasn't so sure when it came to me and Jack.

.......

I never got quite used to Harrod's, especially since it was my first time. Allegra acted like she owned the place. We were in the Woman's Department and everytime I found something I liked, I took one peek at the price and put it right back. I leaned over to look at Allegra in the petite section, who had at least ten articles of clothing in her hands. One look at me and she came right over. "Alright, Scarlett, you need a lesson in spending. My motto is 'You like it, you buy it.' " I laughed and she snatched a hot pink strapless mini off the rack and pressed it to me. She scrunched her eyes and a moment later said "Try it on." I looked at her, searching through the fabric and saw that her hands shook slightly and her eyes kept straying away from the racks, flitting back and forth between the clothes and the wall behind us.

I grabbed her wrist. "I can tell something's wrong, Allegra. You're not yourself."

She tried to cover it up. "Umm, I'm on my period."

I rolled my eyes."I can tell thats not it. Tell me." I looked pleadingly into her eyes. She heaved in a huge breath. "Ever since I started dating Dan, something started happening. I started getting these death threats through text. One said, Look out the window, and there was a figure in a ski mask outside. I don't know what to do." Silent tears started to roll down her face and I held her for a while like any friend would do.

She stopped crying and pulled back. "Come on, we should probably go meet up with Dan and Jack." Allegra cracked a small smile and said "I'm gonna go buy this stuff. I'll meet you outside."

.....

I sat with Jack in his car in the restaurant parking lot. Our double date had gone surprisingly well. It was in a cute little Japanese place and I probably wouldn't forget Allegra throwing sushi in Dan's face. Jack started the ignition and turned to me. "Did you enjoy tonight?"

"Yes. Thank you for everything, Jack. You're amazing." I nuzzled my head in his crook of his shoulder. This was amazing right now, but how long would it last? Would I really ever be able to hold on to Jack forever? I knew in my heart that the answer was no. But some part of me wanted me and Jack to be like Allegra and Dan. Was I pretty enough? Or confident enough? I just didn't know but I knew that someday I was going to lose him.