Chapter 12

It was a full hour when I realized we weren't going to get out of this typical London traffic anytime soon.

We were on London Bridge and the view of the River Thames really was amazing but I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the tourists oooing and aaaing. I have to admit they were a bit annoying, there were more tourists than Londoners here.

I saw the depressed look on Jack's face and leaned over "Why so glum?" I tugged on his arm playfully. No response.

"Scarlett, I really like you a lot, but what if your parents don't like me? And what about the whole Ms. Ashcroft thing? How long can we keep this up, I didn't want to tell you to make you upset but she already warned me with one more chance on Friday." He finally said after a couple of seconds.

I bit my lip in frustration. "I don't know."

I got a smile out of him though." I love when you do that."

"What?"

He imitated my frustrated face which made him look constipated and I laughed out loud, wondering if I looked like that.

The annoyed drivers honked behind us and we started move forward. "Let's take a little detour." Jack whispered to me. My face lit up in glee but I knew cruising around London would take a bit longer than going straight to Islington. We passed by Madame Tussuads, Harrods, Trafalgar, Piccadilly and my personal favorite, the Tower of London.  

"It actually isn't one tower, it's dozens, and has been the home of many royals, as early as the twelfth centu-" I blushed red as I realized I was rambling out loud. Jack looked at me with one eyebrow up.

"Sorry." I sank down in my seat.

"Scarlett, you're a genius and beautiful, what is there to be sorry about?"

I sighed and snuggled back into him. I watched his hands firmly on the steering wheel and thought 'How could it possibly get better than having Jack Harries as my boyfriend?' He accepts me even when I act like a complete nerd and I don't wear makeup or try to impress him. I could be myself around him. Maybe this is too early, but I think I love him.

It was a while longer before we finally got out of the central London area and took the much less populated route to Islington.

"Have you ever been in love Jack?" I didn't really mean to say it and I could tell it took him aback a little.

"No. Have you?"

"No. You're actually my first real boyfriend." It was the first time I admitted it, and I was scared to, thinking Jack probably has had plenty of girlfriends before.

"Well then, I am glad to be your first." He said it with a smile, taking the awkwardness out a bit.

We finally turned into my neighborhood of box-like flats all squashed together. "Number 238." I was embarrassed to show him where I lived, it was graffitied everywhere and not the nicest neighborhood. We're pretty lucky to have a house, it wasn't easy making a good living with your dad a cashier and your mom an underpaid schoolteacher.

I scanned Jack's face for any sign of emotion as he parallel parked next to the badly paved asphalt. My whole body was jittering with nerves as I walked out into the very cold November air. I shivered and Jack immediately noticed, coming up behind me and rubbing his hands up and down my arms. He took my hand and we made our way up the steps to my home and just stood there for a few seconds before Jack rang the door.

I heard my mum shrieking before she even opened the door. It swung open and her frizzy red hair was flying all over the place.

"Scarlett!! Oh, darling, we missed you so much." Mum's death grip was killing me but  

I managed to hug her back. Dad came up behind her and kissed me on the top of my head. I hugged him too.

As soon as we were in the house, all eyes were on Jack, including Alex who stood, bored, in the corner.

Jack outstretched his hand to my dad and shook it and did the same for mum.

Mum broke the silence and said "You must be Jack, Scarlett has said so much about you!"

"Yes, your daughter is lovely, Mrs.Maudshire, not to mention smart." 

Mum blushed and mumbled something about my baby pictures, running down to the bedrooms. I sighed with relief, grateful that Jack was good with people. He started chatting about football with my dad, while I came up to Alex.

"Come here!" I took him up in a bear hug and he groaned. Monstertruck growled at me and bounded over to Jack who took him up on his lap, and the little devil dog closed his eyes in happiness as Jack rubbed his belly. Of course, animals loved him too?

...........

After dinner with the family, Jack and I were about to leave when Mum asked if she could talk to me privately. I wondered what this was about, and followed her into her room.

She kept touching her hair which was now turning a slight grey. Another nervous habit I got from her. "Sweetheart, this is very awkward for me to talk to you about but, now that you have a boyfriend- "

"Oh, god, mum please we did this when I was 12, I don't need to hear about it again. "

"Good, good, your father and I discussed this and you just saved me from a conversation I didn't want to have."

"Thank you." I gave her one last kiss on the cheek and a quick squeeze.

I left the room, took Jack's hand and waved goodbye to my family. "What was that about?" He whispered once the door was closed. "Nothing." I muttered.

A/N: This is the next chapter! sorry it took so long! I actually went to London so I pictured it all in my head as I was writing so that was pretty cool:) And there actually is an Islington, that's where my hotel was!