Chapter 5

I slipped on my pajamas and slid into the coves of my bed. I was supposed to be thinking about class tommorrow and the giant bump on my head, but instead I was thinking about him.

I stared at the digital clock on the nightstand until it read 23:00 and I still couldn't fall asleep. Finally, I had enough. I got up and grabbed a pink v-neck tee, shorts and a pair of trainers. Running. I ran when I wanted to forget or take away the pain or just feel alive. I pilfered through my favorite handbag, my Dad's leather messenger bag, and found a special necklace with a light on the end to see where I was going. I got out into the cool night breeze. The leaves were colors of orange, brown, red and even a bit of purple. A cold chill made the hair on my arms stand up.

I took my iPod out of my pocket and put the earbuds in. The Beatles 'Across the Universe ' filled my ears as I closed my eyes and went into a slow jog. My parents had always inspired my music choices and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes I could do a whole mile with my eyes closed, just letting the beat of the music take me away. I just knew where to go somehow and I never crashed into anyone because I always ran at night. 

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, Nothing's gonna change my world.

The lyrics described my situation perfectly. I couldn't let anything change my world.

I started to turn around after I had played through all the songs on my ipod. I put my hands on my knees , panting, my lungs heaving, but it felt amazing. For 2 hours, I thought of nothing but the beat of my feet matching the rhythym of the music. A new song started to play. One Direction. I groaned and not because I was exhausted. Cara and Aliza. The little prats had gone through my iPod. I smiled while I walked. I still loved them for it.

I looked up into the sky to see millions of stars sprinkle the air as if there were people up in the sky holding up tiny lanterns there just for me. I know, it sounds kind of stupid. We never saw stars from London. I took out the earbuds and marveled at the beauty of it for a moment. I didn't remember the last time I saw stars. Like magic.

I followed the signs back to the Student flats and trudged my way back up to Floor Three. It was still dark and there wasn't alot of lighting. Wait a minute, my room key! I had left without it!!! Shit, I was such an idiot, even as a little girl, I forgot everything everywhere possible. I should've known nothing was going to change. What the hell was I going to do? It was one in the bloody morning!!!! 

There was only one thing that came to mind. Jack. It was going to be embaressing but I had to do it. I started to knock furiously on his door. I know what you're thinking. I'm being a complete bitch for waking somone up at one o'clock in the morning. But what am I supposed to do, sleep on the floor? I heard footsteps on the other side and before I knew what  to say, he was standing right in front of me. 

"Scarlett? Jesus christ, what the hell are you doing here?" 

At first, I couldn't process anything because of the fact that he looked incredibly hot with his hair messed up like that and wearing only a pair of breifs and a tee shirt. 

"I-I... Umm, I locked myself out." This was more awkward than the whole cell phone thing.

"And what am I supposed to do about that?" He had a good point. I just now was realizing that the key was in my own room.  I had no clue what to say to him. I just looked down trying really hard not to get lost in his green eyes. 

"Listen, you can stay here the night until tommorow morning and we can get you a new key from the administrator, okay?"

"Jack, you don't have to do this for me. It's only been a couple hours and I already feel like a liability. I want you to think of me as your friend not your annoying next door neighbor."

" I like you, Scarlett. I wouldn't dream of thinking of you that way. You might be slightly clumsy and not so slightly forgetful but you're still my friend. Of course, I mind that you woke me up in the wee hours of the morning but I wouldn't let you sleep in the hallway. Come in."

I spent the rest of the night curled up in the chair in front of Jack's computer.