Chapter 8

The next morning, my alarm woke me up at 6:30. I started to lazily get up when it hit me. Last night. The kiss. The video. God. It seemed like a blur even though I hadn't had a single drink. I sure did smell like I did though.

I quickly hopped in the shower and stood there for about 20 minutes under the steaming water, thinking about what I did last night. It had only been 2 days and I had already broken all of my rules.

I wrapped my towel around me and braided my hair into a French braid while it was still wet. I took out all of my books, brochures and pamphlets. Okay. Now it was time to really focus on what was important to me. This year was supposed to be super exciting because I got to do things hands on with real patients, talk to them and do internships at local hospitals. I put on some comfy leggings and an oversized knit sweater.

I flipped open my laptop and put Jacksgap in the YouTube search bar. Time to see the final product.

The video read "Blindfolded Makeup Challenge. " I watched and nearly fell out of my chair laughing as the half drunk, blindfolded Jack sloppily applied lipstick to my nose and mascara to my eyebrows. The whole time, computer Me squirmed and squinted as Computer Jack popped open my compacts and lipstick tubes, while dictating what he was doing to the camera. I scrolled down to read the comments. Most were raving about how sexy Jack and Finn are, some were saying that we were 'such an adorable couple' and then there were the few sending me death threats claiming that 'Jack is MINE!!'  

I didn't really mind those though. It's not like jack and I were really a couple. It was just one kiss. He probably didn't even remember it.

I put all my things into my messenger bag and looked at my map to figure out which building to go to for class.  

Technically, I was supposed to ask Jack but I was kind of avoiding him right now. I turned the map around and couldn't make sense of a thing. I was never good in Geography. I knocked on the door and this time, it wasn't three am so he answered quickly.

"Do you remember? I do. The pub I mean." he asked before even saying hello.  

"I do too. Everything. Do you regret it? The kiss?" I whispered to him while I walked into the room and he closed it shut.  

"I don't know what I was thinking. I mean, did you want to kiss me? I'm just not sure how I feel about you, Scarlett. I was drunk. I wasn't thinking. I know I crossed a line."

"I-I-I don't know what to say. I like you Jack. You came into my life and turned it upside down. But if you don't want to go farther than friends, then I'm okay with that."

"Good, because I don't regret it. It was a mistake but I definitely don't regret it. I just need some time to think this through. I don't regret the kiss or the video. Though I don't remember that part. I had to look it up this morning." He laughed weakly.

"Listen, we need to talk about this later, yeah? I have to get to class, Jack. Can you tell me how to get to the Department of Science and Medicine?" 

Jack gave me the directions and I left the room before anything else could happen. The best way to avoid an uncomfortable situation was to, well... stay away. I walked with my head down and watched the busy students carrying their backpacks and rushing to their next classes.

The campus really was beautiful. I wish I had more time to enjoy it. I arrived at the department where I would be going for all of my classes. My first for today was Basis of Molecular Sciences. Exams were in 2 months and I had studied at home all September when my parents didn't have enough money to send me yet.

Today was a lecture day, with a surgeon from the Queen's Hospital coming in to talk to us. The classroom was ginormous, with probably over 50 first year students in the room and Professor Lichen in the center next to a projector and Smartboard. I took a seat in the front, next to a girl who looked over at me like she was embarrassed to be seen with me.

"You're late, Miss. Maudshire. Not a good way to start off your University experience, isn't it?"

"Yes, sir. I mean no, sir." I answered. 

The whole class laughed at me and I burrowed my head in my jacket. The proffesor rattled on and on about molecular structure and the makeup of a human cell while my pencil flew back and forth across my notebook. When the surgeon began to speak, I was transfixed for a moment, thinking 'that is going to be me someday.' The clock struck 9:30 and the air was a flurry of backpacks and books.

I started to stuff my notebook into my bag and sling it over my shoulder. 

I was out the door when the professor shouted "Wait, Miss. Maudshire." 

I turned around. "Yes, sir?" 

" When Dr. Marchright began to speak, I saw a sort of spark in your eyes. You stopped writing, but I could tell you were listening. Even with your tardiness, I can see you are a hard worker. You have a drive that I haven't yet seen in a student for a long time now. I'd like to offer you an internship."

My eyes got wide. "An internship?"

"Don't get too excited Miss. Maudshire. This opportunity will take away time from your classes. It's a full time commitment. If you fail to keep your marks up, then you may lose this once in a lifetime experience."

My face lit up."Professor Lichen, I promise that I will not disappoint."

"Don't get your hopes up,this isn't definite. I'm only putting in an application."

"Thank you, professor." I tried to keep calm but inside I was bouncing up and down.

"Don't thank me yet. Now get to your room, Miss. Maudshire. Next class starts in an hour."

I nearly was skipping down the hallway. This was my chance, I knew it. There was no way I could screw this up. If I lost the internship, I would never forgive myself. I opened the door to my room and crashed down on my bed. I was knackered. The day had barely started but I was already exhausted from lack of sleep last night.

I sat down at the computer and started to type Lichen's essay.