Chapter 14: Constance

Once my sister stormed out of the room, I sit down on the floor and place my head in between my knees. How could she think that? I didn't think she would actually SLEEP with Jonathan. I just don't understand how she could just ignore her feelings. My cheek throbs from the bruise she left me, and right now I won't even speak a single word to Arkadius for her. I know I stepped out of line when I kissed him. I shouldn't have, but just like her, it just happened. I forgot my worries.

The door opens slightly, allowing whoever it was to quietly enter. I glance up to find Jared looking down at me with worried eyes.

"Cadence, are you okay?" He asks as he sit next to me.

I sigh, "No, I'm not. I just don't understand. I don't mean to sound harsh to her, I just want her to be happy. That as much as I love Jonathan, for everything that he has done, I just cannot allow her and him to use each other. Like I know she loves Damien, just as much as he loves her, but she won't admit to it. She continues to fight against it. She wants to go back to the kingdom, and doing so with a heavy heart will not make everything better.

"Jonathan is a great guy, but he cannot expect to just change her heart, and I don't want him hurting when he realizes that it will not. I don't know what to do anymore." I finish.

Jared stays quiet for a moment, taking everything I said into consideration. Then finally he speaks, "Well, your sister is as bullheaded as you, so do not expect her to change so quickly. If she is determined to stay away from Damien, and to not admit her feelings, then that is her choice. One day, I promise you Cadence, she will cave into the need she has for him. It is not your duty to decide such things."

I nod. He is right; I just hate seeing Damien in so much pain. I owe him everything, from saving me when I was sixteen, and keep both Minani and I alive here in this world. "You do understand that I did not know that Damien will be there at the party. It wasn't even I who told him. I kept it a secret for her. I did not want her to be uncomfortable, I wanted her to have fun. I wonder..."

I glance up at Jared, who looked away instantly, avoiding my eyes. "Jared," I growl. "How did Damien find out about the party?"

"I-I have no idea," his voice shakes. "Maybe he overheard somehow you know? Maybe a little bird told him, he can be a wolf and talk to animals and stuff-"

"Jared!" I cut off his rambling. "Did you tell Damien we were going to the party?"

"Well look at the time!" He suddenly stands up. "I need to get going, I do have to make lunch for everyone-"

I yank him back down and I force him to look at me. "Jared you told him didn't you?"

He cracks under my gaze, "I'm sorry it slipped out! I truly did not mean to do so! He was asking about your whereabouts, and I told him that you guys were staying at a friends house then to a party."

"How did you know about the party anyhow?" I ask.

"Are you serious? Who stays at a friends house and doesn't go to a party? Plus I went through your emails." He shrugs.

My mouth drops open in shock. "How dare you intrude on my privacy!"

"He found your guys scent after that and went to the party."

"And why did you go through my laptop? That is personal privacy!"

"I'm sorry I'm not the one leaving things lying around!"

"It was in my room," I counter.

He smiles a small smile, "Maybe you should lock it next time." I glare at him, which only makes him smile wider. "Come on, I don't think we should-"