Chapter 4: Constance- Trouble

Wow. What were the chances of school being a pain? My first day of school doesn’t make any sense so far. First off the deal with Willow, but we end up having every single class together. Why would they do this to me? I mean it’s not like I don’t like her anything but she hates me. Then I find out that Damien had a huge secret and he didn’t tell me. He’s the new coach’s assistant. This of course made my day.

“Damien!” I yell as I sprint to him.

He turned to see who was calling him. He smiles widely once he realizes it’s just me. I leap forward when I was close enough, letting him catch me into one of our famous twirling hugs. Gosh it is such a relief to find him here.

“Why didn’t you tell me this morning you were working here!?” I say as he swings me around.

He places me back on my feet, allowing us to talk to each other face to face. “Well I wanted it to be a surprise for you. Plus, I knew if I told you, you would look for me for safety,” he nudges.

“Pft! No!” I say nervously. He gave me a look, the look of ‘better tell the truth missy’. “Okay, fine! Maybe I would have looked for you for safety just a little.”

He laughed a little. We turned around towards the bleachers to find Willow and her friend Jonathan. They stared right back at us, willow with the worlds meanest stare, and Jonathan just seemed amused. I turn back around; ignoring Willow and her friend’s weird glares burning holes through my back.

“Why are they staring at you like that?” Damien asks.

“Oh you know, new kid, terrible morning, and a Willow who hates me for an unknown reason,” I shrug. I don’t know what I did to her. I only have protective feelings for her more than anything else. It’s freaking me out sort of, especially since she’s been nothing but mean to me.

“Well, give it a matter of time. You guys are closer than you think,” he smiles at me.

I shrug once more looking up at him. “I guess I better get to play some games huh?”

“Yeah. Go play some volleyball, I know how much you love it,” he says lightly pushing me away.

I laugh and give him a quick hug before I go. Some girls saw me and call me over to their volleyball game. I smile lightly, nodding that I would join them, and began walking towards them. Maybe this will change my day around.

I hear a squeak behind me, causing me to turn around instantly. I find Willow on the floor obviously in a lot of pain. I don’t know what came over me, but I ran to her, feeling oddly protective of her. I got to her side and started helping her up. “Are you alright?” I mutter.

She looks up at me and her facial expression changes. “I’m fine!” she spits venomously at me, jerking her arm away from me.

I stumble a little, but I regain my balance once I feel a strong hand on my shoulder. “Constance, is she alright?” Damien asks me.

I nod as we watch Willow go sit on the bleachers, obviously in a lot of pain. Gosh, why the heck did I even help her? What came over me?

“Who did it?” Damien says his voice angry.

I turn to face him as I shrug. “I don’t know, but why should I even care. Obviously she doesn’t even want my help.”

“You two are going to need each other one day, and if one of you gets hurt…” He trails off.

I look at him with a bewildered stare. What is he talking about? He just simply smiles at me and walks off, leaving me confused.

I on the other hand decide to ignore it and go join the girls who invited me to play.