Chapter 5: Willow- Frenemies?

The day was as horrible as I thought it would be (when is it not? Even my peaceful days were like that) and it only got worse when I showed up for detention. As you already know, I’m cursed with bad luck, because two of the three people I least want to see, Constance and Jake were sitting in the detention room.

One was seated in the left side of the room and the other the right side. If you were in my predicament, who would you sit next to?

Constance was my best bet of actually not getting suspended or not getting terminated. I silently make my way to a seat farthest away from Jake and as calmly as I possible slid into the seat next to hers. I guess I didn’t do a very good job on the calm part because she scooted away from me the moment Mr. Green excused himself and left the room.

This just annoys me. “I don’t have cooties,” I breathe out. It’s not that I wanted to be mean, it was just that Jonathan decided to ditch and all attempts at finding a peace were lost the moment I found out. That boy has a serious death wish.

“Yeah, but I don’t want to start anything,” she says bluntly.

I cross my arms and narrow my eyes at her. “Well, sorry if we all can’t be little Miss perfects now.”

A mixture of shock and amusement takes over her features. “What!?” She then radiates anger and frustration. “Is that what you think of me?”

I shouldn’t do it. “You know what?” Just let it go Willow, just let it go. “That’s exactly what I think.” I couldn’t do it; I just had to say it.

And she's angry. “Well sorry to bust your bubble, but I’m far from that!”

Feels good not to be the only angry one. “Uhhh…” I hear Jake in the background, but I ignore him and laugh bitterly. “Oh yeah?” I should have risked it and ditched. “Is that why everyone calls you the ‘better Willow’?” This town, these students didn’t even give me a chance, and she comes along and is automatically better than me. “Or even the ‘prettier one’” same face different treatment. “Everyone likes you because you are so ‘perfect’!” Where’s Jonathan when I need him?

She stares at me in disbelief, completely missing my hurt, “Seriously?” I knew she couldn’t understand. “I bet they would like you too if you were actually nice!” Nice… to the people who have made my life hell? I could laugh at that! “But no!” Dan right no! I was no idiot. “You are always mad for some reason!” Good reason at that.

“Girls?” Jake tries, but we both ignore him as we glare at each other. “No, I wouldn’t be nice to them, even if they paid me. Why? Because they think I’m a freak!”

Her next words completely stun me. “Well you’re not one!” She is starting to make me feel guilty for yelling at her.

“Girls?” Jake insists and is once again ignored.

“Yeah, well you weren’t the one abandoned in the roots of a willow!” My heart squeeze at the words that haunt me to the bone.

“No, I wasn’t!” she spits out. “I was found in a dumpster in one of the freaking alleys!” I freeze for a moment at her words.

“Girls!?” Would he just give it up already!?

“Shut up!” We both yell at him.

She stares back at me. “All I wanted to do was to become your friend Willow.” She can’t… is all I can think. “That’s the first thing I said to my brother.” Why?

“Well,” what am I supposed to say? It’s complicated enough keeping Jonathan away from my tormenting, imagine this stubborn girl. So I do the only thing I know how, I snap at her. “I didn’t want your help!” Please, I beg of you. Let. It. Go.