.30 |Z I A M|

Lean On Me 

by: cabinfever (Ao3)

Summary: It was a mistake, a miracle, and a blessing. Zayn just didn't expect anything to pan out the way it had.

WARNINGS/TAGS: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Gunshot Wounds, Smut

A/N: this made me cry...just a warning.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There might've been a time when Zayn contemplated his feelings for each and every one of the band members. It was probably early on in the X Factor days, back when there was the chance that they wouldn't make it at all and Zayn could just make up his mind because they probably weren't going to last as friends for long if they didn't win.

Niall was firmly and immediately placed in the zone halfway between friend and brother, the kid that, sure, was nice to look at, but Zayn could never have seen himself with the young Irishman. He was loud, bubbly, and lovable, but never attractive to Zayn.

Harry, despite his obvious slow-voiced charisma, megawatt smile, and hypnotizing green eyes, was like a cheeky best mate. Sure, Zayn had considered his chances with the curly-haired boy once or twice, but never seriously.

And Louis. Louis was a challenge. He was like Zayn's other half, his partner in crime. And yes, they had ended up in a rather compromising position that one time when they were on the X Factor tour. But beyond that, there was nothing but a sort of curiosity about each other, no deep emotional attraction to hold them together.

But then there was Liam. Liam was another story entirely.

Liam was Zayn's everything. Liam was beautiful. Liam was flawless. Liam was the one meant for Zayn, the one that completed him, that was his best friend and soul mate and just everything that Zayn wasn't.

Liam...Liam was Zayn's story.

* * *

"And, Liam, another fan wants to know why you've been randomly leaving the stage during concerts, and she said that she'd been noticing how sick you've been looking. She wants to know if you're okay." The blond interviewer looked up, and Liam felt his stomach drop. This really wasn't what he needed right now. He already felt nauseous and his head was throbbing.

He snuck a peek at the rest of the lads and saw that they were all looking incredibly perplexed, having heard this observation for the first time. Including Zayn.

Zayn...

He snapped out of his reverie and locked his gaze on the interviewer's heavily made up eyes. "Well, that's true. I have been feeling a bit under the weather lately. But I'm sure it's going to be cleared up soon with a good aspirin, eh?" He grinned and smiled at the camera, albeit reluctantly. "So no fear, guys! You'll have the old Liam soon enough!"

The interviewer smiled as well and Liam felt Harry pat his arm in a comforting gesture, which he appreciated. "Well, folks, this has been Live! With Kelly. Here's One Direction, signing off!"

The boys all smiled and waved at the camera. "Bye!" they chorused with all the ease of a well-rehearsed troop.

"And...we're clear," the cameraman called, and Liam immediately got up and rushed out of the studio. His face felt flushed and warm, and he was practically drowning in the sweat that was seeping through the fabric of his light cotton shirt. He made it to the bathroom and slammed the door shut, locking it before dashing to the toilet and retching. He ended up losing his breakfast, and he felt his stomach still churning and groaned, clutching the rim of the toilet with all he had.