.10 |L A R R Y|

be my baby (i'll look after you)

by: scagnetism (Ao3)

Summary: harry nests, louis worries.

-------------------

Harry digs his hand into the small of his back and lets out a deep breath as he sinks down onto the couch. Rearranging the living room at eight months pregnant probably wasn't his smartest choice, considering his back is aching considerably more than it was, and aside from that, it's not easy to move furniture when you've got a football sized bump in your way. "Calm down, angel, please," he says, putting his hand right where his daughter is kicking. She hasn't stopped all day, and Harry doesn't like to complain, likes to savor every moment of the miracle of life, but today he can't take it. "Please chill out."

He flops his head onto the back of the couch and lets out a breath. Definitely not his best idea, but at least the living room looks nicer now, and once the furniture was moved to his liking, he took it upon himself to do all the laundry, so at least that's clean. Nesting, he's learned, is a very real thing. He rubs soothing circles on his stomach, humming a soft melody and smiling when Cinnamon comes to his feet. He'd moved her scratching post, and she seemed to be looking for it before ultimately giving up and coming over to him instead. He'd get up to get it for her, but he just doesn't want to since moving hasn't been the easiest lately. "Can't bend down to pick you up, love," he says to the cat with a shrug, like she knows what he's saying.

She lets out a meow and backs up a little before jumping onto the couch herself, looking none too impressed. Harry draws his knuckles over her soft fur in apology, and she seems to accept it, burrowing into his side. It's only a few moments later Harry hears the door open. "Hi, Lou," he calls, feeling the baby give a slightly harder kick at the sound of his voice, and he just sighs.

"Hey, Hazza," Louis replies, and Harry can hear the smile in his voice before he sees it. "How was – what the fuck? Did you do this on your own?" Harry nods with a shrug. "Harry! You know you shouldn't be moving the god damn furniture around when you're in the state you're in!"

"The state I'm in?" he counters with an eyebrow raised. "I'm pregnant, not incapable. It's not that I can't do things by myself. I need help sometimes, but I didn't need help with this."

Louis sighs gently, shaking his head at his word choice, and Harry has no fight in him to be mad or even slightly annoyed. "No, I know, but, love. I just don't want you to hurt yourself, yeah? Are you alright? Why did you do this? Harry, oh."

Harry shifts with a shrug. "Nesting is an actual thing. Like, I thought that was just something they talked about in those pregnancy books, but...it is very real. I needed to change the place around or summat. Did the laundry, too. The living room looks better now, doesn't it?"

Louis looks around, mulling it over. "I guess, yeah, but I don't want you to hurt yourself or our baby. Call me next time you want to move the furniture. For Christ's sake, call Niall. He definitely owes us manual labor after all the shit we put up with over the years." Harry lets out a giggle. "I know I worry too much. Soz."

"'S nice to know you care, babe," Harry tells Louis with a laugh. "Even if you're overdramatic."

Louis holds his hand to his chest in mock offense before falling to the couch and pulling Cinnamon onto his lap. "You sure you're alright?" Harry feels the baby kick a little harder now that Louis is in closer proximity. She always knows when Louis is there.

"'M fine, promise. My back hurts a bit but when doesn't it? Nothing to worry about, yeah?"

"Can I get you anything?" Louis asks, planting a kiss on Harry's temple. "Anything to make the pain better?"

"A cuppa and a foot rub would be nice, but right now, a cuddle, please?" Harry asks in a small tone, feeling like it's a silly request. He knows Louis never minds, but he still feels so needy sometimes.

"I'll never turn down a cuddle," Louis tells him, putting his arm around Harry's shoulder. "The little bug awake?"

He nods. "She knows when you're here," Harry says, closing his eyes as he leans his head on Louis' shoulder, burying his face in his neck.

"Hey, little love," Louis says as slides his hand onto Harry's belly, and he feels the baby kick a few times at Louis' hand before calming down. "Were you givin' Daddy trouble today?"

"You got her to stop," Harry mumbles into Louis' skin, letting out a breath of relief. "She's been going crazy all day."

"She was trying to tell her Daddy not to overdo it and that the furniture was fine where it was."

Harry rolls his eyes before placing his hand on top of Louis'. "Shut up," he laughs, and Cinnamon jumps off Louis' lap, clearly not impressed with the noise, trotting off to her bed. "'M tired after all that. I changed this whole house around today while you sat your ass in a plushy studio."

Louis giggles, pressing a kiss into Harry's curls. "Go to sleep, Hazza."

"Love you, babe," Harry tells him, able to ignore the pain in his back when he's got a Louis there to make the world seem a little easier and a calm baby in his tummy.

"Love you, baby." Louis rubs a hand over Harry's bump. "And this baby, too."

Harry falls asleep with a smile on his face.