Part 11 of Falling for the Boss...

Author's Note- 

I've finally uploaded, and I'm sorry it took so long! But, I've been working on this story and my other story all day, and my hands are literally cramping. One of my family members think I might have something wrong with my right hand because of typing so much, so please be happy that I've uploaded! This is from Natalie's POV, and I've put a recap at the beginning just so you remember what happened last... I hope you enjoy it! :) 

RECAP-

“Natalie, I like you, but,” He said. I knew there would be a ‘but’ coming; I knew this couldn’t work. “You’re my employee, so we can’t be together,” He finished. There was nothing I could say to this; I couldn’t protest or scream, because he was right. I didn’t speak so an awkward silence grew around us, and finally, Mr. Matthews stood up and left the room. I wanted to be upset, but there was nothing I could do. He was my boss, and that was that. I loved him, but it wouldn’t work. There was nothing that could change that, no reason to question it. It was final.

We avoided each other everyday at all costs. He was always late for a meeting or had to rush to a friend called Andrew’s house. I’d never heard him mention Andrew before this had all started, so I wasn’t even sure if he was real.  Where as, as soon as I finished working, I would run to the privacy of my room or speed off to Hayley’s, Chloe’s, or mum’s house.

On the odd occasion that we did bump into each other in the hallway, or we were stuck in the dining room for meals with Harrington, we made a rushed, awkward greeting and fled the scene as soon as we possibly could, one going one direction and the other going the opposite way.

Even Harrington had given up on us. He was no longer his cheerful, humming self. He had become a grumpy, impatient man ever since the awkwardness had started, and I knew that I wasn’t the only one who’d noticed his attitude change. Mr. Matthews noticed, but he didn’t do anything to change it. Neither did I. We just let the hostile ambience around the house remain.

I hadn’t even realized that I was almost done cleaning the whole house. I polished the mantelpiece, which completed the living room. All I had to do now was the kitchen. I retrieved the mop and the bucket from the hallway to clean the kitchen floors. I pushed the door to the kitchen open, where Harrington was propped up on the back counter reading “The Daily News”. His head was lined with creases as I entered, but he didn’t say anything. I mopped the floor in silence, the only thing I heard was the occasional turn of the newspaper pages every minute or two. I finished the floor to perfection after 15 minutes with a swish. I got a cloth out from under the sink to wipe the counters; once I finished that, I’d be done, and I would be able to get out of this hostile environment.

“I’ve already cleaned the worktops, Natalie,” Harrington said curtly.

“Oh, thanks!” I said, trying to keep a calm, pleasant voice as shoved the cloth back under the sink and slammed the door slightly to make a point. “I could’ve done that though. It’s my job…” He didn’t say anything, so I continued talking, “Well, since you’ve finished my job for me, I guess I’ll be going! I’m going to see my mum, then I’m going to Hayley’s house, so I’ll see you later.”

“Well, goodbye then,” he said, his face still in a deep frown.

“Bye, Harrington…” I said wearily, trying for a small smile. “Will you tell Mr. Matthews where I’ve gone?”

His mouth pinched up as if he’d just sucked a lemon. “Why can’t you just tell him yourself? He’s upstairs in his room.”

I frowned at him, my brows caving in a little. “No, Harrington, you know why I can’t do that.”