xxi. SILENT SUFFOCATION

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

TWENTY-ONE
SILENT SUFFOCATION

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          Silence crept upon the two quickly, both still reeling from the last few moments. Neither had made a move since the final words had been spoken; only the lingering reminder of what had slipped from between Carson's lips staying between them. It left them with a great sense of unease, neither really knowing what the next move was to be made. They were back to square one for the thousandth time and it was starting to seem like that was the only place their relationship would ever venture to.

          Stiles had his head leant against the cold glass of the window, his mortal mind running through every possible apology there could ever be. He knew that he pushed her too far, he always did. That was who Stiles was, always pushing the envelope way past the allotted amount. It was his fault, it was always his fault. He had created this mess, obliterated both of their hearts in the matter of minutes. Whether or not she would ever believe him if he were to tell how kissing Heather was a mistake, that he had let himself fall prey to a woman who didn't even hold a flame to the girl he loved, it would always be his fault. He could feel his eyes sting as he itched to slam his hands off the steering wheel, but he stayed stone still in his seat, terrified that if he even made the slightest of sounds that he would have Carson running for the hills.

          For silence had seemed to become the one thing that could allow them to be in the same vicinity.

          He was completely unaware, however, of what was occurring in the passenger seat next to him. So wrapped up in his own thought process, Stiles failed to notice that the girl beside him was growing ensnared in her own anger, gradually losing her grip on reality. It was easy to say that the conversation they had just ended within the confines of Roscoe had been a hard pill to swallow, jagged like glass. Fire tipped tongues had spewed out words that could never be taken back and for Carson, it made her want to scream. The more she thought about it, the angrier she got. And the angrier she got, the more she could feel the onset of a shift occurring.

          She wished so desperately to go back to their sophomore year, back when their fights could end peacefully. Back when she had enough trust in her heart just for Stiles. He was the one person she had never expected to leave her so damaged. Although to be fair, he was right about one thing; she wasn't helping the situation. But years of watching everyone she thought cared for her unconditionally had left her hardened to times like these. Her heart spoke before her head could ever catch up and regret for every word she spoke hung heavy over her like a cloud.

          Things would have been simpler, if she had just forgiven the boy beside her on the spot. Simpler, because maybe these fights between her and Stiles wouldn't happen. Simpler, because maybe she wouldn't be a werewolf. Simpler, because everyone always said that forgiveness was the first step to recovery.