xviii. MISTLETOE MISERY

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

EIGHTEEN
MISTLETOE MISERY

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

          The thing that was tough about dating your best friend, and then breaking up with said best friend, was that it brought upon an array of awkward moments and painstaking decisions.

          On the one hand, you could completely cut that person out of your life and pretend that any friendship that you had prior to falling head over heels for them had never existed. You could completely wipe their existence from your mind, leaving a sort of void that they once used to fill. You could persevere in to not giving into any recollections of that friendship, even if it had been something that had held you together even before the hands that held each other of trust became hands that held out love.

          But on the other hand, you could try and sew that friendship back together. Move past the fact that you had bared your heart to that person, gave them all the love that was encompassed beneath your flesh and bones. This, however, was obviously the hardest way to move past the pain. Depending on your standpoint in the break up, you could want to resent that person or you could want that person back in your arms faster than a lightning strike. That void, the one that was left empty from their leave, would always be half-filled with that friendship. It was because you had seen that person for who they were, past the bounds that friendship ever could. It would be awkward, it would be painful, and at some points it would be questionable if any of this had ever been worth it.

          For Carson Bradley and Stiles Stilinski, they had gone with the second option. And it was proving to be an extremely hard task to fulfill.

          While they had been content as friends and even more so as lovers, the breakup had seen them both damaged, hateful, and just all around sad. Hearts had been shattered to bits, the amount of glue in the world still not enough to get everything back together. Their hearts were not a representation Humpty Dumpty, and all the king's horses and all the king's men would not be able to put their hearts back together again. The type of healing they deserved was one that took time, and even numerous days between the break up and the present were not enough.

          It was different on both ends for the used-to-be couple; one party feeling regret and self-hatred at himself for ruining what he believed to be the best thing to ever walk into his life. The other was terrified to her core that the one person she had put faith in had up and left, just like everyone she had ever loved unconditionally.

          In a way, it would appear that their entire friendship had set them up for pure failure, the two barely being apart since they were mere toddlers. That amount of shared time together had formed a bond so fiercely reliant on the other part. They were practically codependent and when it was time for them to sever apart what they had, it was almost catastrophic to the states of their hearts. It was visible to everyone but the two themselves that they needed to be together again, that they were half a heart without the other. There was not a Stiles Stilinski without Carson Bradley, and the sixteen year old girl surely wasn't the same without her hyperactive best friend by her side.