Chapter 27: Dead End

A/N: Thanks to all those who have read my story up to this point. Hopefully this chapter doesn't disappoint! Part 2 is coming up!

**********************************************

As I walked through the atrium, I found the mother sitting on the ivory couch, her hands folded against her lap. Her ears tilted towards the mosaic tiles, listening to the footsteps grow louder.

"What did you tell her?" I asked. Startled at my assertive tone, she weakly craned her neck upward to face my anxious gaze. She opened her mouth only to release a tired sigh from her scarlet lips.

"I told her that as a young lady there is a certain way one shall conduct themselves with the opposite sex," she articulated.

"Was that all? You must have said something else to make her upset," I replied walking closer to face her.

"Why are you questioning me like I am the bad person?" she griped, placing her hand on her breastbone. "She is acting foolishly towards her virginity!"

"I am not saying you are. Look, I trust Julia not to have done anything improper with Clitus. I trust that he would not have taken advantage of her," I protested. "Should you at least trust your daughter?" The mother pursed her lips together. Behind her usual poised face, I could see her lips quiver.

"My excellency, I found Julia!" Brutus called from the vestibule.

"Where was she?" the mother asked, jolting straight from the couch. He paused. Did she run off with Clitus?

"She is safe. She was in the alleyway. She did not make it far," Brutus said cracking a smile.

"Thank heavens she is alright," Eunice sighed.

"What was she doing in the alleyway behind the house? And was she not accompanying you to the house?" the mother asked.

"She is still upset. She said she needed time to recollect herself."

"I have to talk to her," I replied. Surprisingly, neither the mother nor the grandmother objected as I excused myself outside. Rays of sunlight hit my eyes forcing me to blink away from the direct sunlight that greeted my pupils. I shielded my eyes with my cupped hands against my brow as I wandered down the pavement along the house, swallowing a breath-full of chilled air. The usual noisy streets were rather quiet today. In the shadows that loomed over the entrance into the narrow alley, I seen a girl's head peek out before slipping back into the darkness. Intrigued I ventured on. It was her. I knew those golden glassy eyes from anywhere.

"We were looking for you Julia," I replied softly. I paused to observe loose strands of her dark locks flay across her forehead. She pursed her lips together in silence.

"Everything is going to be alright," I assured, as I tried to reach out and hold her soft delicate hand in mines. As she stared upwards to catch my gaze once more, I noticed her tear-stained cheeks fused with black makeup that cascaded where the tears once flowed.

"I know how it feels to be misunderstood. To be treated like a child. I have been down that road before," I spoke gingerly as she rubbed her eyes with the back of her palm. "I came to resent it...to loathe it. But running away is not always the answer."

"Is that not what you did?" she answered bluntly. I let go of her hand as I took a moment to look past the anger and pain that seeped in her voice.

"Yes," I breathed. "I did."

"What makes it any different then? Because you are a boy!" she muttered.

"Look, I ran away because my life was in danger. I did something really bad and...if I stayed I may not be even here talking to you today," I replied solemnly. I watched as her lips parted, before she shook her head in disbelief.