Chapter Three - Things

"School holidays are in a week" I mumbled while I lay on Dukes chest in his room

"Does that mean I'll have you all to myself for four weeks?" Duke asked his hand stroked my hair

I shrugged "Depends on how much I work"

He sighed "Hopefully not that much"

"Hopefully" I agreed.
It would be nice to spend my time with Duke alone for the four weeks I would be school free.

"I'm still concerned about my car" I mumbled, thinking out loud

"You shouldn't be. We're going to be keeping an eye on it" Duke replied

"If you're worried about it, then I am too"

"You have other things to worry about Rosie. Like school, like your grades.." He trailed off

"But none of that matters if I'm going to be dead"

"Don't think that way, I don't like it" He gave me a small squeeze

"It's nearly happened before" I shrugged

"Nearly. But I have and will always been there to stop it, no matter what" He continued

I sighed and inhaled Duke's sweet scent, letting it fill me up.

"You should take this time to catch up on sleep" Duke mumbled as he leaned down to kiss my forehead

I snuggled closer and mentally agreed.
I needed the sleep, especially if I wanted Duke to wake me up on time tomorrow morning for school.

-

The next morning, Duke woke me up at six in the morning. I readied myself for school and for once, left on perfect time.

"Morning" Clora greeted as she skipped up next to me, Kenai close in tail as he slung an arm around my shoulder.

"Afternoon" I joked back as we made our way to first class.

It was hard to focus on school and work when there were so many things running through my head.
I would think of Duke and how close we had become. I would think of Callum and the so called danger that hung around his existence. I also thought about the cables in my car, and who could have possibly been to blame.

By the end of the day, Duke had messaged me, informing me that my car was fixed and waiting for me in the student parking lot.
I was relieved, and walked towards it with Clora when the final bell had sounded.

"Are you working this afternoon?" She asked as we got into my car

"Yes, but not for another hour" I shrugged as I backed up out of the parking lot.

"Lets go to Delrose Cafe for hot chocolate" She suggested with a smile.

I drove towards the Cafe across from school and parked my car just outside of the window that we chose to sit in front of.
I didn't want my car to be out of view, just in case the cable cutter was to show up again.

"How is work going by the way? I hear Callum has been all over you" Clora began as we sat in our booth, catching up on gossip

"How do you know that?" I asked, my eyebrows creasing together as a tall lanky waitress sauntered over towards us.

She shrugged "Malory told me"

"What can I get you guys today?" The waitress asked as she stood above our booth, holding a notepad and pen in front of herself. She looked bored, probably just wanting to go home to be with her significant other or bed.