Chapter 5: The Train Ride Begins

My POV

I was still hugging Jasmine when I heard the compartment door open. An elderly witch pushing a trolley full of sweets was standing at the door.

“Anything from the trolley, darlings?” the woman asked.

“Um, yes please,” I mumbled as I stood up. Jasmine got up as well and we started browsing over the seemingly endless amount of options.

“Oh, look, Samira! They have Licorice Wands!” Jasmine exclaimed.

“Oh, hush, Jasmine. You know I hate black licorice. I’ll take one pack of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, um, three Chocolate Frogs, eh, four Pumpkin Pasties, and a packet of Drooble’s, please,” I told the witch. She handed me what I asked for and told me how much it was. I paid her the appropriate amount and then gave her an extra galleon for a tip. Jasmine bought her treats and we thanked the woman as she made her way to the next compartment. I closed the door and as Jasmine and I sat back down to start on our treats, the door opened again.

“Why must the door keep getting opened?” I asked exasperatedly.

“Well I’m quite sorry to upset you but I was merely stopping by,” drawled a cold, familiar voice. My head spun around so quickly I thought I would get whiplash. There, standing in the doorway, was the boy who I had met in Diagon Alley, Draco Malfoy.

“Draco?! W-well, it’s, um, eh-heh, it’s nice to see you again!” I spluttered out, becoming flustered by him merely being in the same compartment.

“Samira, it’s been awhile. It’s a pleasure to be in your presence,” Draco complimented slyly, causing my face to turn bright red. Jasmine just giggled at the scene.

“Um, this is my best friend, Jasmine. Jasmine, this is Draco,” I introduced.

“So this is the Draco you’ve been faw-” I cut Jasmine off by placing my hand over her mouth.

“Shush up! Jasmine May Fonwen you are a bloody git so shut. Your. Mouth!” I hissed at her. Jasmine shut up immediately because she knew to be quiet when I snap at her. It doesn’t happen often but it is scary enough to stop even the largest man in his tracks. My quiet demeanor returned and I shot Draco a small, apologetic smile. “Don’t mind her, she’s mentally confused!” Jasmine glared at me and I glared right back.

“Yeah, I’m the worlds’ largest git, apparently,” Jasmine stated.

“You ruddy well are…” I mumbled quietly. Jasmine giggled again and then excused herself from the compartment, claiming she needed to use the loo. Draco and I just stood there slightly awkwardly.

“So, Samira, what house do you plan on being in?” Draco broke the silence.

“Well I’m not quite sure. I don’t even know anything about the houses or even what they are. I’m a muggle-born, you see, so this is all new to me,” I said quietly. Draco just appeared shocked and deep in thought.

“The houses are Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor.” Draco sneered as he said the last house. “I’m going to be in Slytherin, my whole family was so I am, as well.”

“I don’t really know the different houses but hopefully I get a good one.” I stated. Just then, Jasmine re-entered the compartment.

“Hope I wasn’t interrupting anything!” Jasmine proclaimed quite louder than needed.

“No, no, of course not. I actually was just leaving, you see,” Draco told her giving the compartment one last sweeping look that came to rest on Samira. “I’ll see you later, Samira. Jasmine.” With that he turned and walked out of the compartment, closing the door behind him. Jasmine let out a high pitched squeal that made me cover my ears.

“He likes you! You like him! Oh, you’ll be so cute together!” Jasmine shrieked.

“Oh, sod off! He doesn’t like me…” I said dejectedly. Jasmine gave a slight snort.

“Oh, my arse he doesn’t like you! It’s so obvious!” Jasmine cried out. I just rolled my eyes and settled back down to eat my treats. Soon enough, Jasmine sat with me and began to eat as well. What a wonderful way to start off the train ride, I suppose.