Chapter 8: Get Your Head Out Of Your Arse!

My POV

“GRYFFINDOR!” the Hat shouted out loud. I'm in Gryffindor? But... Jasmine... and Draco... I ripped the hat off my head and tossed it onto the stool. The Gryffindor table cheered and I walked over to it. I looked at where Jasmine sat next to Draco at the Slytherin table. Jasmine and I shared the same sad smile and Draco just looked down, sullen for some reason. I sat down next to Hermione at the table and she gave me a hug. Neville just looked wide eyed and held Trevor closely to him. My mind registered what he was saying: Awa is going to eat him! I sent Neville an apologetic glance and reminded myself to promise him I'd keep her away from Trevor.

“Weasley, Ronald!” the red haired boy with the dirt smudge on his nose sat down on the stool.

“GRYFFINDOR!” Ronald made his way over to the table, grinning, and sat down next to Harry.

The last person standing there was “Zabini, Blaise!” and he was made a Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolled up the parchment she had been reading off of and took the stool and hat away. Up at the High Table, a man with a silver beard so long that you it went down passed his belt stood up. I recognized the man as Professor Dumbledore, the Head Master.

“Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!” Professor Dumbledore said. He sat down and food appeared on all of the tables on the gold platters that were placed everywhere. Everyone clapped and cheered then began to eat.

I grabbed some sausages, bacon, fries, and even a few peppermint humbugs. Everything tasted so delicious but I didn't pay much attention to that. I was distracted because Jasmine got to be in Draco's house and I wasn't with either of them. The people around me were talking about where their magic came from when suddenly Neville spoke to me.

“What about you, Samira? How are you magic?” Neville asked me. Everyone turned their attention to me as I looked at him.

“Um, well, my mum, well she's not really my mum because she adopted me but still, she was born from a wizarding family but she's got no magic, I guess you call those squibs here. She told me that neither of my parents were magic and she'd know because she used to be pretty nice friends with them but they've faded over the years. So I guess I'm a muggle-born. Not sure where I got it from but I got it none-the-less! I was surprised when I got a letter, no idea what it was! And strangely enough my best friend, Jasmine, is a witch, too! But she just got sorted into Slytherin... Anyone know if we can visit other tables?” I said to everyone else. An older red haired boy looked at me with a pompous expression.

“Well, I'm Percy, Ron's brother, and I'm a prefect so I know the answer to that. You are allowed to socialize with the other houses at all times but it isn't the most respectable to do so on the first night since that's when you're supposed to meet your house and get to know them,” the boy named Percy told me. I stood up from the table and shot him a smile.

“Well thank you for that information, Percy but frankly I don't give a damn and was going to go over there even if you had said no.” I walked across the hall to the Slytherin table and sneaked up behind Jasmine. I wrapped my arms around her while she was sitting and she jumped.

“Samira! Oh, I am so upset that we aren't in the same house! How could this have happened?” Jasmine cried. She stood up and hugged me and then scooted her seat over so that I could sit next to her. I was then sitting between Jasmine and Draco who did not seem pleased about the seemingly bloody ghost sitting on his other side.

“I don't know, Jazzy. I really am not fond of this. I won't get to see you at all! Nor Draco!” I said. Draco looked over at the mention of his name and noticed me sitting there.