Chapter 7: The Sorting BEGINS!

My POV

The doors to the magnificent castle swung open to reveal a stern looking witch in emerald green robes and dark, black hair put up into a neat and tidy bun.

“The fris' years, Professor McGonagall,” the man said.

“That you, Hagrid. I will take them from here,” she replied in a clipped tone. She took us into an entrance hall that was larger than any room I had ever seen. Flaming torches lined the hall, giving it light. At the opposite end of the hall was a great, marble staircase. The babble of hundreds of people talking came from a doorway on the right but we were led right passed it and into an empty room at the end of the hall.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in you house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room,” Professor McGonagall told us. “The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has it's own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

“The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.” I could see Professor McGonagall's gaze sweeping across the room, lingering on Neville, who's cloak was fastened underneath his left ear, and a tall, red haired boy that had dirt smudged on his nose. “I'll return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly.” With that, Professor McGonagall swept out of the room which immediately started to chatter quietly when the door had closed.

I stayed quiet, just looking at Jasmine and gripping her hand. Several moments went by when several students gasped. Turning to look, I saw at least twenty ghosts coming out of the back wall. They took no notice to us and kept arguing amongst themselves. A ghost that greatly resembled a short and stocky monk was speaking to the others.

“Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance,” the monk argued wisely.

“My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost- I say, what are you all doing here?” A ghost wearing a ruff and tights said, finally noticing us. I was about to speak up when Jasmine gripped my hand tightly, signaling me to be quiet. Nobody else started to speak until the Friar opened his mouth.

“New students! About to be Sorted, I suppose? Hope to see you in Hufflepuff! My old house, you know,” the Friar told the audience of first years.

“Move along now. The Sorting Ceremony's about to start,” came Professor McGonagall's voice from behind us all. The ghosts all left out the opposite wall and Professor McGonagall continued. “Now, form a line and follow me.” Everyone did as she said and got into a straight line. Professor McGonagall led us all out of the room and back to the door that had the babbling. She opened the doors onto a massive room filled with people.

The ceiling to the room mirrored the outside sky perfectly. Four long tables were set up seating different students which I assumed to be the four houses. At the head of the room was a long table of people that must be the rest of the professors since they seemed much too old to be students. Near that table, a short, four-legged stool was placed by Professor McGonagall. On top of the stool she set an old hat with a wide rip near the brim. My face showed a puzzled look and then the rip started to open. The hat began to sing: