Party (Like It's 2012)

Chapter Eleven

“There’s so much left to do!” Jenifer was freaking out, as she looked around the house bare of decorations.

I rolled my eyes at her, putting my hand on her shoulder to silently tell her to calm down. Her shoulders were bunched under my touch as she ran a hand through her hair.

“We have hours left. Don’t worry.” I tried to sooth her.

She didn’t look impressed. “And we still have to get ready.” She threw her hands into the air in exasperation. She looked dismayed down at the outfit, which in all looked pretty cute but wasn’t really giving off the party vibe.

“You’re acting like you have the weigh of the world on your shoulders.” Chrissie didn’t sympathise. “You do realise that the longer you spend complaining the less time you will to get ready, right?” She asked.

Jenifer shot her a distasteful glare. “Shut up.” She huffed.

I chose not to take side in this argument and instead headed towards the box of decorations Jenifer’s parents had left behind with a small sticky note telling her to ‘have fun’.

“Come on guys, we can get this done.” I said pulling the box towards myself and started pulling out the random party accessories.

They both stopped their squabbling to look at me.  I held up a stack of plastic cups and waved the around. “Are you going to help or keep staring at me?” I asked jokingly when the made no move towards me.

“Right.” Chrissie said moving to stand by my side and take a look at the decorations. “Jenifer how about you call some of the guys from the football team to come help with moving some of the more valuable stuff out of the way, and pin up some of these banners?” She suggested.

Jenifer nodded her head making no arguments as she went to go fetch her phone.

It wasn’t long until Spencer, Rick, Jenifer, Chrissie, and I were all set to work on getting the party thrown together.

“Thanks for coming.” I said to Rick and Spencer as I handed them both streamers to pin to the ceiling. Jenifer was determined to have everything perfect.

“It’s fine.” Spencer shrugged flashing me a wide smile as reached down for more decorations. “I text Jared too, he’s bringing the drinks over in about an hour.”

I nodded my head. “That’s good. I think Jenifer’s thinking that everything is about to bodge up at the last second.” I grimaced.

Spencer chuckled. “I’m sure even if it did you could pull through with a miracle.” He joked.

“More likely, I would run to my room and avoid her wrath.” I shuddered thinking about how angry she would be if something did go wrong.

“HEY WILLOW, A LITTLE HELP OVER HERE?” Chrissie called out to me from across the room where she was attempting to push some tables together, resulting to a horrible screeching sound as the table legs scraped across the wooden floorboards.

I wince at the sound. “Are you guys alright on your own?” I asked holding out the box for Rick to take off of me. He did so and nodded his head wordlessly in confirmation.

“We’ll be fine.” Spencer assured me when I looked over at him.

I wasn’t really sure what I thought was going to happen, but I knew that if I let Chrissie damage the floorboards Mr and Mrs Wayford would not take to it kindly. Jenifer’s mother in particular was a bit of a hard ass when it came to keeping everything spotless.