Rule 24

Rule 24 (Not proofread so please ignore any mistakes - Ta!)

"Hey, sweetie," my mum cooed and I stirred, grumbling under my breath. When I opened my eyes, she was standing above me with a small smile on her face.

"What time is it?" I asked, my voice muffled by the quilt cover. She smiled and pushed on my stomach to get me to move. I sat up and moved to lean against the headboard, giving her a tired look.

"Eight. I thought you'd rather be up earlier to pack," she said with a hint of despair to her voice.

"I've already packed," I admitted, biting on my lip.

I'd had a total of seven arguments with Melinda since coming home, granted I didn't get off to the best start with the arse comment, but she still provoked me every five minutes. My dad and I had also made a point of not talking at all. I joined everyone for my first dinner since being home, but the deafening silence just made it awkward.

Ash's mother had also emailed me a job and I'd been tirelessly working to try and get the campaign ready for when I went back to live with Dev. Dev had also called the night I was taken home to let me know that his spare room was always open for me.

"I hate that you're so desperate to leave," my mum repeated and I let out a deep breath.

"I wouldn't be if he was more like you," I mumbled and moved my legs up to sit cross legged. Mum didn't say anything, but I knew she wouldn't. She loved my dad and despite our fall outs, she would never talk about him cruelly afterwards.

"This is from both of us," she said, handing me a small box. "Happy Birthday," she added and I smiled, taking the neatly packed wrapped present from her. She watched me eagerly as I tore open the paper and opened the wooden box that was awaiting inside.

"Thank you, I love it," I said, reaching up to hug her. She wrapped her fragile arms around me and sighed, her warm breath hitting my bare shoulder. When I pulled back, I grinned down at the box of new pencils and pastels, which would make my life in advertising so much easier.

"Hopefully they do you good," she said and I smiled.

"They most definitely will," I agreed, skimming my eyes over the variety of stationary.

She left me to change and went to make breakfast. I was planning on visiting the train tracks before I went back to Manchester, just to say my final goodbyes.

"Alexandra," my dad greeted when I got downstairs. I froze on the final step and he sighed, taking in my cold expression. "I don't want an argument, I just want a mature, adult conversation."

"Happy Birthday to me," I grumbled to myself as I followed him into the front room. Surprisingly, Melinda wasn't there, only two empty sofas.

"Take a seat, Alexandra," he said. I rolled my eyes and dropped onto the cushions, giving him an impatient look.