The Roommate Rulebook

EXCITING NEWS! The Roommate Rulebook is now available as an audio book! You can get your very own copy on audible, iTunes, wattpad bandcamp and other audiobook retailers. I've worked super hard with both wattpad and Hachette, so would love for you all to hear it!

Please find the excerpt of the prologue above! :D

The Roommate Rulebook.

  "This is it?" I asked, standing with one eyebrow raised in front of the small box room. My cousin smirked and nodded.

"What, not good enough for you?" he retorted. I frowned and gestured towards the bedroom with my head.

"I'd be surprised if I could fit in there, let alone my suitcase as well," I mumbled, taking in the room again. There was a single bed to the left with a cupboard wardrobe and small desk to the right. The laminated space between the bed and the desk was minimal but the room was better than living out in a youth hostel.

"I told you it was small on the phone," Dev said with a shrug. I shook my head, nudging my case inside the door with my foot before following him down the passage and into the front room.

"No, you said it was an ideal size," I answered. He slumped down onto the light brown sofa and stretched out, clearly making himself comfortable. I hesitantly picked up an old shirt from the arm of the chair and chucked it at him.

"You can't be more than five foot tall, how much room do you need?" he asked. I decided against arguing with him as he sniffed the shirt, grimaced and dropped it back onto the floor.

"You're gross," I muttered and he chuckled.

The room was somewhat tidy, the flat as a whole was cleaner than I had expected but the mess was unusual to me. Back at home, everything was spotless, Mum had a cleaner that came in weekly to make sure that every surface was polished and that every curtain was steamed. If anything, the untidy flat was relatively relaxing.

"You're gonna have to get used to it, Al, I've been living like this for two years and I'm not about to stop now."

And with that he turned on the T.V and increased the volume so that if I did have a response for that, he wouldn't have heard it. I took that as an opportunity to go and have a look around.

The kitchen was compact but complete with a microwave and coffee machine, so I had no complaints, and the bathroom was pretty nice. I frowned when I reached a fifth door, one that was sandwiched inbetween the bathroom and the airing cupboard.

"Dev!" I called but got no reply. With a grumble, I padded into the living room and pinched the sole of his foot. He made a strange squeak sound before frowning and muting the T.V.

"What?" he hissed, reaching down to rub his foot. I rolled my eyes at his action and pointed towards the hallway.

"What's with the other door?" Dev seemed to think it over for a moment before chewing the inside of his lip.

"It's the spare room."

"Is it bigger than mine?" I enquired and he nodded, sitting upright.

"Much."

"Can I have it instead of this one?" I asked and he shook his head.

"Why? How many hookers do you plan on keeping captive in there?" A grin spread across his face after my words.