Rule 18

Rule 18 - you know the drill. Not proofread, so please ignore any mistakes.

"Yes, Mum, I promised I would and I am," I said, resting my phone on my shoulder as I threw some of my clothes in my bag. Dev was leaning on the doorframe and sighed as he watched, running his hand down his face.

"Do you want me to meet you at the train station? I know..." she paused, clearly not sure what to say. Trains had made me a little nervous after the accident, but recently, I'd been fine with them.

"It's fine, you don't have to worry," I started and then stopped, sitting on the top of my bag. "Actually, it would save me the taxi fare," I added and I heard her chuckle.

"I miss your bluntness," she admitted before I heard some jingling in the background.

"I miss you too," I answered, checking the clock. "Look, I've got a train to catch. I'll see you in a couple hours." My mum signed off the conversation and I breathed out through my lips, giving my cousin a sad look. As it was the college's half term, before I left home, I promised my mum that I'd visit her for a weekend. That dreaded weekend had come.

"Have you got that false report card?" I asked and he nodded, handing me a folded piece of paper.

"You don't have to go alone. I could always go with you," he offered but I shook my head, giving him a stern look.

"Dev, you have to stop Ash doing anything stupid and you have work. Getting this weekend off for me wasn't easy, it'll be worse for you," I justified and he grunted, glancing into the passage.

Ash's head appeared in the doorway and he frowned.

"Have I pushed you to move out?" he asked and I shook my head, giving him a look.

"I'm going home for the weekend, remember?" I pushed and Ash's eyebrows rose.

"Was that this weekend?" he asked and I gestured towards my bag.

"Clearly." Dev moved himself back from the door and into the living room, leaving Ash standing there with his arms crossed.

"I thought it was next week," he said and I shook my head, giving him a grimace.

"Nope, I'm leaving in a minute." He watched me pack my remaining bits and pieces before putting his hand on the doorframe.

"Are you gonna be alright?" he asked. I raised an eyebrow and looked over his shoulder.

"Ash, I have a train to catch." His eyebrows rose and fell when I mentioned train and he sighed.

"If you have any problems, just call me," Dev shouted over Ash's shoulder and moved his lodger out of the way.