Twenty-One

{edited}

IT'S STRANGE THAT THEY FEAR DEATH. LIFE HURTS A LOT MORE THAN DEATH. AT THE POINT OF DEATH, THE PAIN IS OVER.
–JIM MORRISON

CARA HAD FINALLY STOPPED crying but not by choice. She had run out of any tears to shed. Wanda was still missing but she knew she wasn't dead, she could feel her mind slowly closing in.

On the other side of the glass was Pietro, now wearing a blue hospital gown as multiple doctors and nurses operated on him. Clint had tried to get her away so she could rest but she had refused, saying that the moment Wanda showed up, they would wait together until they could visit him. On the heart monitor, the red line indicating Pietro's heartbeat barely going up; it still went up, though, so it was good enough for Cara.

"Cara!" Wanda's familiar voice shouted from across the hallway and Cara turned. Wanda was running towards her, the Vision calmly walking behind her. A few S.H.I.E.L.D. agents stared at the Sokovian girl but they continued walking down the hallway. Wanda had fresh tears leaking down her pale cheeks and she launched herself into the blonde's arms. Wanda's body racked with sobs as she cried into Cara's shoulders and she ran her hair through Wanda's ratty hair. The two girls continued to cry in the middle of the hallway as the red android watched the two.

"He's going to be fine, Wanda," she assured, but she was about... ninety six percent sure that she was actually trying to convince herself. She pulled away from the brunette and placed her hands on her shoulders. "Agent Barton – uh, Clint said that they'll be operating for a while, I don't know how long though. After that, they're gonna let him rest for a few hours then we can see him, alright? Until then, we have to wait."

Wanda sniffled and raised her hand to wipe a few tears. "Yeah, alright." Wanda hugged her again and the pair sat down, staring through the window at Pietro's operation.

ϟ

"Hey, kids, wake up," said a voice and Cara jerked up. She had always been a light sleeper since living at the Hydra compound in Sokovia. Her blue eyes focused on blue eyes and dark blonde hair, almost brown. She then realized that it was Hawkeye and now he wore civilian clothing, wearing a short-sleeved flannel shirt, jeans, and a white shirt.

Cara sat up, realizing that she and Wanda had fallen asleep and leaned on each other for support. "What happened? What time is it?"

"It's about seven at night and the operation's been finished for a while. They're letting in visitors now." He stood up and pulled the two girls to their feet.

"When will he wake up?" Wanda asked, rubbing her arms.

"I'm not sure but they said maybe tonight, possibly tomorrow. Depends," Clint responded. "Look, I'm gonna get some dinner. You girls want anything?"

They shook their heads and the man left. Wanda and Cara walked into Pietro's hospital room, close to crying as they saw his sleeping state. There were a few tubes in his arms, linking him to the multiple hospital machines. The slow steady beat of his heart was the only sound in the room. The two neared, sitting on opposite sides of the older Maximoff. Cara clutched his hand while Wanda moved the small hairs away from his face.

"I remember the day we first met you," Wanda spoke, smiling as she did. "I thought you were amazing. I had never seen anything as amazing as you. Pietro's thoughts were quick and erratic like always but I could make out all them. He kept saying how amazing and beautiful you were. I would always tease him about his crush on you, but what sister doesn't?" She gave a small chuckle. "From the very start, I had knew you two would get together. It was like I was a psychic; I had predicted from the very start that you two would happily be a couple and I was right.

"I always imagined the two of you together and I'm not even apart of it. As a child, I would imagine living happily with my husband. When I saw the two of you together, I imagined having a love like yours. I was always a little jealous of the two of you, even if you weren't together yet."

"You'll fall in love soon, Wanda," Cara said. She reached across Pietro's bed and held the brunette's hand, rubbing her thumb across her knuckles. "I can feel it."

"Who are you, Cupid?" Wanda teased.

Cara decided to play along. "Not that you know of." The girls laughed. "I promise you, Wanda, that I will help you find your true love and you will have your happy family."

Wanda looked down, smiling big. "You have a big heart, Cara. I envy that."

A/N: I didn't really know how to end this chapter. I wanted to add a little chapter with showing Wanda and Cara being girls and they did! They talked about boys (albeit one of those boys is Wanda's brother) and they talked about love. I think this is cute.

Also, Once Upon A Time... that show is going to kill me. Just saying; so if I mysteriously don't update someday, just blame OUAT... just keep that in mind...

I'll see you Friday. Bye guys!