Six

{edited}

I COULD BE WHATVER YOU WANT. YOU JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT AND I'M GONNA BE THAT FOR YOU.
–NOAH CALHOUN, THE NOTEBOOK

"LAB'S ALL SET UP, BOSS," Agent Maria Hill said as she approached the Quinjet, a tablet in her hands.

She looked over at Stark sitting at the pilot's seat, who then turned around and said, "Uh, actually, he's the boss." He pointed over to Steve who was now standing up. "I just pay for everything, and design everything, and make everyone look cooler. What's the word on Strucker?"

"NATO's got him," she replied.

Steve walked out of the Quinjet, meeting up with the woman. "The three enhanced?"

Hill swiped the screen on her tablet, showing the first two. "Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building." She swiped again, showing the two standing with other Sokovians, yelling at what appeared to be a riot. "Sokovia's had a rough history; it's nowhere near special, but it's on the way to everywhere special."

"Their abilities?"

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." They stopped in the hallway, Steve looking at the woman with a confused look. "He's fast and she's weird."

"And the girl?"

"Unfortunately, we weren't able to get any information on her. We ran her face through facial recognition but we weren't able to find a match. It's like she was literally erased from existence. But through the files, we found out the Maximoffs call her Cara. It's also possible that somewhere, HYDRA has a file or something on her." She swiped the tablet again, a video playing of the blonde girl training. "Her abilities are..." she started, trying to reword her sentence at seeing Steve's look. "She's basically a copycat. She can mimic anybody's skills or enhanced powers so she could have your strength, Cap."

"Well, they're going to show up again," Steve replied.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts," she said, referring to Wanda and Pietro.

"Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve says as he entered the elevator, pressing a button.

"We're not at war, Captain."

"They are."

ϟ

With Wanda's mental manipulation, they had gotten a room at one of the nicest hotels they could find, which was much nicer than the twins' broken down shelter they used to live at. Together, they got a room together with two queen sized beds, a small kitchenette, and a large bathroom. Before they got to the hotel, they had gotten some fresh clothes to last them for a few days and then Wanda left Pietro and Cara to get some fresh food for them.

Cara sat in the large bathtub, the warm bath water reaching to her shoulders. She had brought her knees to her chest, resting her chin right on top of them. Her long blonde hair stuck to both her back and the bathtub. She let out a loud sigh, shutting her eyes and letting a smile grow on her lips. Finally, she could be free. Free. Along with her name, she loved the word: free. Sure, she had much more freedom after meeting the twins, but there were still certain things she couldn't do like go outside. Strucker had feared that if any of them had gone outside, they would run away. Now she could do anything, see anything.

A few minutes later, she stood up, wrapping the fluffy white towel around her wet body. She looked around for clothing but instead only found her dirty black clothing. Cara looked up at the wooden door before knocking on it. "Pietro?"

She heard shuffling footsteps. "Cara, are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just... I left my clothing out there," she said. "It's on the chair by the sofa. Do you mind getting it?"

"Of course, lyubov'," he said. She gave a small blush at the nickname. Cara then unlocked the door, listening to the lock quietly clicking open. She opened the door, holding her towel closer to her body as Pietro handed the clothes to her. "You're welcome." (Love)

"Thank you, rtut'," she said before shutting the door. (Quicksilver)

Pietro walked back to his spot on the sofa, watching the news. He wasn't even watching it; his thoughts kept drifting back to Cara. Seeing her half-naked embarrassed him (since he had never seen that much of a woman unless he accidently walked in on Wanda, which was embarrassing enough) but he wanted nothing more than to tell her how beautiful she was, to hold her small frail body in his arms. He saw the small scars that decorated her arms and legs, the visible reminders of the experiments and instead of them being imperfections, they thought they were beautiful. Because of his quick healing, Pietro no longer had the scars and Wanda still had a few of them but they were barely visible.

Pietro never saw scars as ugly as some people would. He thought that they were beautiful and amazing. They defined a person and showed their past, showed that they weren't weak but a fighter, a warrior. It means that the hurt is over, that wound is gone. It shows that you lived, that you are alive. Scars were a reminder that no matter how hard they wanted to give up, they fought through the pain. They survived.

Since they had met, Pietro had always had a sudden feeling of just wanting to be with her; he wanted to hold her, talk to her, even stand next to her. The Maximoff boy felt a sudden connection to her. When he first saw her, he had felt a sense of familiarity like he had seen her before. He had once told Wanda this, but she told him to just ignore it, that it was probably nothing. But he couldn't shake that feeling.

Minutes later, Cara emerged from the bathroom, her fingers running through her wet blonde hair, wearing a white tank top and dark purple running shorts. She gave him a small smile before placing her black clothing on a chair. "Has Wanda not returned?"

Pietro shook his head. "She'll be back in a few minutes, maybe less."

"The, uh, the bathroom's yours if you want to shower," Cara said, hiding her arms behind her back. He stood up and approached the blonde girl before lightly gripping her wrists. She tried to pry them from his hands, trying to hide her scars but he held on.

"Why do you hide your scars?"

She didn't return his gaze. "They remind me too much of my past. Besides... they're hideous."

Instead of responding, he brought one of her wrists to his lips, lightly , kissing it. Cara's breath hitched in her throat. "They're beautiful," the Sokovian said as he met her blue eyes. Her breathing started to become unsteady as he looked back at her scars. "To you, they may be imperfections. But to me, they make you... you. I don't care if we've only known each other for a small time but I feel like I've known you for a lifetime. You make me feel at home; you make me feel infinitely happier. Since I have met you, my life has changed for the better." He leaned close to her but Cara pulled away.

"Pietro..." she mumbled. "We can't..."

"'We can't'? Or you won't?" Cara didn't get a chance to say anything as he got closer to her. And with that, he closed the space between them.

A/N: So... it's been a while since I've updated but if any of you guys read my author's note, one of my best friends is going through a bunch of stuff and I've been helping her out with that. I'll have two more chapters up today. Sorry again. Bye guys!