84: Counter-Riposte

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Lily by Melissa Zayas. All graphics by me.

"So you talked to him?" Lily said, shrugging into her nightgown as Fiona sat down on her bed It was late, and Fiona had silently entered Lily's room and sat down on her bed with a sigh. Lily straightened the billowing cotton garment over her shoulders. "Is he alright now?"

The Englishwoman had a dazed, troubled look on her face, her skin pale an flushed in the flickering amber lamplight. Red pinpoints of color bloomed in her ashen cheeks. She nodded mutely.

Lily sat down beside her. "Maybe a better question would be 'are you alright?' She took Fiona's hand in hers. "What's wrong, Fiona? We won the day. Did you explain to Mr. Storm? Was he angry?"

"Well." Fiona blinked and looked at her, sighing. "No, not really. He didn't understand...he was angry at first, but..." she shook her head, dismissing the line of thought. "He's fine. I'm fine."

"You look shaken up." I reckon we all have a right to be shaken up after the harrowing week we've all had.

"It's been a long day." She drew in a deep breath. "How were Saint and Jesse when you went down there? I feel terrible about them being locked up."

"I think they'll live." Lily smiled ruefully. "Saint seemed to be actually looking forward to his stay."

"Ah. Well." Fiona's eyebrows arched. "I imagine he's used to it by now." She frowned. "Lily...I have to leave here."

Leave here...what...? "Fiona..."

"I'm going back home, I... know I told you that already." She grabbed Lily's other hand and held it as well. "But I'm not going to wait long after Aunt Genny returns. As soon as she comes home, I'm going to leave. I can't stay."

Lily felt her heart sink. Being here without Fiona would be heartbreaking. And not just for me. She can't be seriously thinking of leaving now...not after everything that's happened. She saw her own turmoil reflected in her friend's face.

"I'm sorry, Lily..." Fiona pleaded with her. Please don't be upset..."
"I don't want you to go." Lily said in a small voice. She felt lost and off balance at the the thought of being here alone without Fiona. .

"I know...Lily...I wish you could come with me, I don't..."

"Did you tell Storm?" Lily blurted the question before she was even aware that she wanted to ask it, and it hung in the air like the smell of burning cabbage.

Fiona flinched. "No," she huffed, suddenly defensive. "The men don't know...and anyways, why would I tell Storm?"

Oh, come now, Fiona. Lily cocked her head incredulously. Now it was her turn to raise her eyebrows. Either you're playing with me or you're the only person here that hasn't figured it out.

"What?" Fiona went on, her voice cracking. "It's no more his business than anyone else's."

Lily shook her head. "Are you really going to sit here and tell me you don't care about that man? Especially after we almost lost him and I saw what that did to you?"

Fiona's face hardened, and she cut her eyes to the violet-embroidered coverlet. "I care about all of them," she said quietly.

"You know what I mean."

"Lily, no." She squeezed Lily's hands firmly. "No. That's not possible and... I...I just can't. And besides, I'm sure he would think the idea as ludicrous as I do."

Lily's mouth dropped open. That's why the man's heart broke when I walked into the jail to braid his hair and I wasn't you. Because he thinks the idea is ludicrous.

"What about you?" Fiona pounced on the pause in conversation and used it to turn the subject around. "Sparking a bit with Mr. Hungerford in the parlor, I understand?"

"I don't have a problem admitting I am fond of Mr. Bender." Lily got up and grabbed a hairbrush off the dresser. "In fact, I like him quite a bit. He's very charming."

"He'd make a much better beau than Saint..."

Startled, Lily whirled around in time to see Fiona's impish smirk. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Fiona said slyly, taking the brush from Lily's hand and pulling her down on the bed so that she could brush her hair for her.

"I am not here to find a beau," Lily said firmly. "I'm here to work."

"As am I." Fiona was pulling the pins out of Lily's updo. "Italian men are very attractive, though, don't you think?" she said casually, deftly working through the knots in Lily's hair. "Those long eyelashes of his are really something."

"I thought you found him 'infuriating'?"

"Oh, he's quite infuriating. Probably the most aggravating man here, and when you consider that Luis Santana lives here, that's saying something. But even I will admit Saint's handsome. And he looks like he knows how to kiss."

"Fiona!" Lily felt the heat of a deep blush rising up the back of her neck and across her face.What does she know? How did...How did you...?"

"Lily," There was a startled mirth in Fiona's voice. "You...kissed him?"

Lily's mouth was gaping like a fish. "Who told you?"

"You did! Just now! You kissed Saint?"

"Sssshhh...."

"Oh, my word!"

"It wasn't like that!" Lily whirled around, her face on fire. "He was teasing me...it was when he he and Wash came in all shot up that night. It was just....it was nothing!"

Fiona wore a look of unabashed shock. "How could you not tell me this?"

"I don't know, I just...I just didn't want to talk about it!"

"All right, all right..." Fiona whistled through her teeth. "Don't get all upset over it, this is just...news, you know?" She turned Lily back around so that she could continue on her hair. "So...ah..." she shrugged. "So...does he? Know how to kiss?"

Lily paused, another wave of heat flooding her face. She nodded, almost afraid to speak the sentiment out loud. It almost felt like surrender of sorts. "It was..." Like nothing I've ever felt. I can't stop thinking about it. I'm mortified. Was he teasing me? How can a man like that have such soft lips? Why did he do it? Did he like it? Did he? she thought about it for what felt like the millionth time and smiled shyly, allowing herself the realization for the first time since it happened. "...nice."

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!