50: False Witnesses

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Character art of Fiona by Diego Candia. All graphics by me.

"Fiona, he's going to be furious."

Fiona glanced over at Lily's worried face as the two of them picked their way through the thick, crusting mud of the street. "Well, in that case, I suppose Mr. Hungerford will be in good company." She lifted her skirt and petticoat a little higher and stepped around a particularly nasty puddle. "I do hope Tommy managed to not get the wagon mired in this."

"Mr. Bender probably would have just gone to sleep. You know he was up all night. We probably didn't have to do...that to him. I hope you know what you're doing." Lily followed suit behind her. "You're going into the jail and you know that horrible...person...that man that hit you is in there."

Fiona smirked grimly. "He shan't do it again, though, Lily. He's locked up in a cell, isn't he?" So I think he may be safe enough...from me...at least for now.

In his defense, Fiona grudgingly had to admit Rob Yarl had pulled his punch. When he had realized his fist was headed towards her face and not Jesse's, he had tried to stop. It was too late, of course, he was just too big, too slow, and too stupid to have reacted quickly enough to avoid the mess he was now in. Still, it had been a hard blow and it had hurt. She had not faked getting knocked down. Had he thrown it full force, she probably would have ended up hurt far worse than she actually was.

Jesse probably would have ended up with a broken jaw and a concussion, had the scenario unfolded the way Yarl had intended. But on the other hand, Jesse probably would have been too fast for Yarl to hit in the first place. Yarl probably would have ended up with a broken jaw and a concussion, and Jesse with a broken fist. And Sheriff Holt would be running out of jail cells. She imagined that bear-like arm throwing a punch full force into the side of Storm's face or wielding the butt of a pistol at his head, and wondered how her friend's skull hadn't shattered with the impact. The thought put steel in her resolve.

"Will you wait for me on the porch?"  she said softly, stopping and turning to Lily. "I don't want any of the men interfering. So...keep watch for me?"

Lily looked at her for a long moment, then nodded slowly. "Fiona...what are we doing?"

"I'm making sure we all understand each other. I can't say more than..."

"You stepped between Yarl and Jesse. Didn't you." Lily's voice was a hoarse whisper.

Lily's accusation was like a slap in the face. "Shhh! Lily, why would you say something like that?" She whispered defensively, starting to panic. "Do you think I'm daft...?"

"Yes, ma'am." Lily's face was pale behind her glasses, her eyes very bright. "You're about as crazy as I'd be myself if I was you. If I thought someone I cared about...like you do Mr. Storm...was in this much trouble." She sighed, sweeping the clinging tendrils from her brow with the back of her hand. "I'm not blaming you, honey. We gotta get Mr. Storm out of this mess."

Fiona's hand flew to her face. Her eyes filled with water. She tried to speak, but her throat was a constricted fist. "He's going to die," she managed. "We can't just...I can't..." she felt arms close around her and she leaned her head on Lily's shoulder for support. She felt so tired inside, so overwhelmed with fear. The dread she'd felt the night they brought Storm home from jail was back, the swirling cloud of horrifying thoughts had returned to plague her. It wasn't fair. She'd already spent one horrible night watching to make sure he'd kept breathing. One long night helplessly clutching his hand, making bargains and promises as he tossed and moaned in his delirium. And now, after all that, is he really going to die like this? While we sit around and wait for it to happen?

She got control of her breathing, forcing her voice steady. "You know they're lying, Lily..."

"I know."

"You surely must think I'm a terrible person..."

"No." Lily grabbed Fiona's shoulders and looked hard into her face. "I think you're going to do what you have to do. And I'm going to help you."

Fiona stared back at Lily in surprise.

"Fiona...there's a good chance that Luis did it."

Fiona's mouth dropped open. She turned this over in her mind, stunned. Of course...it makes complete sense. Who else would even conceive of such a thing?

The tears in Lily's eyes began to spill over. "And we could lose them both if we don't fix this. So no, Fiona, I don't think you're a terrible person. Let's do this." She stepped up onto the worn wooden porch of the jailhouse and gestured towards the door.

Fiona stood, hand on the door, and took in a deep breath, Lily's voice echoing in her head. And we could lose them both if we don't fix this. She exhaled slowly, then pushed the door open.

It took her a moment for her eyes to adjust to the relative dimness of the inside of the room. The spring sunlight was clear and sharp after the previous rain, dazzling her eyes.

"Miss Lewis-Smythe." Blackie stood up behind the desk, his voice surprised and wary. "What can I do for you today?"

She glanced around the room. Rob Yarl had looked up from his bunk and was surveying her with obvious nervousness. Across the room in the opposite cell, Storm had gotten to his feet and was staring at her in dismay. He was clearly unhappy that she was there. He looked no worse for wear, which was a relief. She looked him over as dispassionately as she could manage, then turned her gaze back to Blackie. "I came for a visit, Mr. Shannon. I need to discuss something."

Storm gripped the bars in front of him in frustration. "Fiona...I told Bender to..."

"Mr. Hungerford does not give me orders or permissions, does he, Mr. Peltier?" she coolly interrupted him. "And anyways, what makes you think I came to see you?"

Thanks for reading! If you are enjoying this story, please let me know by giving me a star or a comment! I appreciate your support!