28: Unmentionables

Book cover art work by Angela Taratuta. Featured chapter artwork of Fiona  is by Diego Candia,  Graphic design for book cover and chapter graphic by me.

Sitting in her nightgown on the edge of her bed, the last thing Lily expected was a soft knock interrupting the silence. Her gaze was drawn to the blank face of the back of the bedroom door, as if she somehow expected it to open on it's own.

"Lily?" Fiona's sweet voice called very softly. "Are you awake?"

Lily immediately got up and hurried to the door. "Fiona?" She quickly opened it, shielding her undressed state behind the door. "Is everything alright?"

Fiona, dressed much the way she was, was similarly clad in nightclothes, over which she'd tossed a dark, wine colored house robe. Her red curls cascaded in a wild torrent down her back. She quickly closed the door behind herself. "Well," she said, "That depends, are you alright? You left in a bit of a hurry earlier, so I thought I'd check up on you.."

Lily smiled. "Yes, Fiona, I'm fine." She turned and gestured for her friend to sit beside her on the bed. "It's just been a very long day, as you know. And I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't worried about our boys being out...after...you know." She watched the single candle flame dance in the darkness on the windowsill, avoiding the other woman's gaze. Unwilling to risk Fiona somehow seeing what she was really feeling. "I know I haven't been here very long...but I reckon it doesn't take too long to start worrying about the folks that work here."

Fiona nodded sagely, red curls bobbing in the golden dimness. "The news about William's upset you, Lily, and I'm sorry about that. I should not have pressed Storm the way I did."

"Well, it wasn't right for them to whitewash it the way they were doing." Lily pulled her gaze from the glowing light and regarded her friend. "You're right, we work here, too. We have a right to know. And it isn't like I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I hired on."

Fiona gave her a serious look. "'Knowing' on paper is not the same thing as 'knowing' because you have to wash blood out of a man's hair after supper."

Lily stopped, and with a jolt realized that Fiona was exactly right. She felt a surge of affection for young woman. She understands completely. Maybe she's the only one here who truly does. "I'd sure hate for anything bad to happen to Mr. Saint and...and Mr. Wash. They went off towards the trouble."

Fiona nodded again. "That's true...but if it makes you feel any better, William's is a pretty long way from Salt Lake House, and they'll be turning around and coming home from there. Long before they ever reach William's. They'll make it."

Lily's voice was a tight whisper. "Do you believe that?"

"I have to, Lily." Fiona's green eyes locked on Lily's'. "You have to believe it, too. You'll go mad, otherwise."

Lily nodded. "I reckon that's true" she said in a small, dry voice.

"You know, I've been doing this for years now," Fiona chuckled, "And you only get used to it to a point. And I don't even have a brother working as a rider, like you do."