81: Confounded Expectations

Cover painting by Angela Taratuta. Chapter artwork of Blackie made by me of found images. All graphics by me.  Having some trouble with WP right now. Let me know if this does not have page breaks, artwork, or any other problem.  EDIT: Yeah, I'm trying to fix things here, not working out. WP must be having a problem. I apologize for any weird formatting you might be encountering on this.

Holy shit.

Deputy Blackie Shannon turned was looked at Peltier, unsure if he was understanding what he was hearing. Peltier had been keeping a tight rein on his emotions all during the trial. And Blackie knew him to have a naturally subdued personality anyway. But a muscle twitched in the smooth curve of the halfbreed's jaw, his eyes intently staring in stunned disbelief as Rob Yarl, the man who could not wait to see him hang, testified before most of the town that he had no evidence against him.

Blackie almost felt sorry for Peltier. The poor bastard probably thinks he's losing his sanity by now. When Miss Lewis-Smythe had stood there and dropped charges against Yarl, Peltier had been visibly wounded. He'd started in his seat with an uncharacteristic gasp of shock. And now here was Yarl proclaiming he had nothing to say to condemn him.

It's shaking out to be a weird ass day.

Judge McDaniel was glaring at Yarl through narrowed eyes. "So..." he said, his voice betraying disbelief and agitation. "Are you saying you bring no witness against Jacques Peltier?"

Rob nodded quickly, his hands folding in front of him. "Yessir. I...ain't sayin' he did it. In fact..." his voice grew stronger as he seemed to give himself over to his testimony. "He most likely didn't."

There was muttering among the crowd, surprise and outrage and speculation. McDaniel jerked his head up and slammed a hand down on the table before him. The room fell silent once again. "Sheriff Holt." he shot a dark glance over at Blackie's employer. "Why did I come all the way out here?"

"Sorry, Judge," Holt replied, clearly embarrassed.

McDaniel took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. He took off his spectacles and polished the lenses on his sleeve. "Mr. Peltier...stand up, please," he said, not looking up. "Do you have anything to add, son?"

Peltier stood, clearly trying to choose his words carefully. His gaze went blank and he shook his head, abandoning whatever he was thinking. "No, sir."

Now McDaniel was looking him over shrewdly, sizing him up. "That true what Mr. Yarl says? You were angry enough to want revenge, maybe?"

Oh, holy shit. Blackie held his breath, helplessly watching Peltier's face. As deputy, Blackie genuinely tried to stay neutral in matters of this nature. But he had to be honest with himself...Peltier was innocent. He didn't want him to have to endure any more abuse. And he sure didn't want to be party to hanging him.

Peltier raised his head, and very slowly, very deliberately, nodded affirmative.