Chapter 23 - Never Alone in This World

"Sometimes the people with the worst pasts end up creating the best futures."

*Ten years later; 20 years into the apocalypse*

"Need I remind you how bad of an idea this is?" Darcie reminded Dawson for the twentieth time.

"Sweetheart, you've reminded me like twenty times. Clearly, it isn't sinking in," Dawson cooed to the twenty five year old.

"Dawson, you are twenty-six. You shouldn't need me to make good decisions," Darcie growled, keeping her voice low not to wake anyone. "It is four in the morning. This is dangerous. You can't drive safely while half asleep. Hell, Hunter is the only who knows how to drive."

"Watch me, I'll be the best driver here," Dawson taunted.

"Well, if you're going to be an idiot, I might as well come with you to make sure you don't get yourself killed," Darcie sighed. "But, if anyone catches us before we get to the vehicle, I'm going to kill you."

Dawson smirked. He put an arm around his girlfriend and placed a kiss into her hair.

"Love you," he purred.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," Darcie suddenly paused. "How did you even get the keys? Hunter keeps them hidden mostly. It's not like he let you borrow them for the night. He barely lends them out."

"I kind of stole them for the night. Don't ask how," Dawson admitted.

The two snuck out to the vehicle. Dawson crawled into the driver's seat while Darcie slipped into the passenger seat. Dawson put the key into the keyhole. Just as he turned the key, a light turned on inside the base. Both the young adults turned around then looked at each other.

"Drive you idiot!" Darcie yelled.

Dawson slammed down on the gas. The wheels spun out before they pushed the vehicle forward. Darcie looked at Dawson in shock.

"You know, my yelling may not have been necessary but spinning out the tires is stupid and dangerous," Darcie growled.

"Sorry Babe," he apologized.

The two drove along in silence until the sun started to rise. Darcie's eyes started to flutter. She figured Dawson must have been sleepy if she was. She looked over and was suddenly fully awake. Dawson was asleep, still holding the wheel straight.

"Dawson!" she screamed. "Wake up!"

The blonde shot awake, slightly swerving as he jerked awake.

"What?" he asked.

"You fell asleep! You could of killed us!"

"But I didn't!"

The two continued to fight, neither paying attention to the road. It wasn't until a redhead started to cross the road not too far in front of them that either of them paid attention. Darcie saw the girl out of the corner of her eye.

"Dawson! The road!" she yelled.

Dawson turned quickly and saw the girl. He swerved off of the road to avoid her. She saw the two hit the ditch and ran towards the back of the vehicle.

"Great," Darcie scoffed as she crawled out of the passenger seat. "Hunter's going to kill us. Great going."

"Well maybe if you would have noticed I fell asleep-"

"Don't you dare try to pin this on me!"

"Are you guys okay?" the redhead asked.

"Yes. We're fine. But we won't be when Hunter realized we crashed the vehicle!" Darcie yelled at Dawson.