Chapter 16 - Shatter the Flesh and Reinforce the Bone

"Be strong now because things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever."

Hunter rolled out of bed and looked down at the bottom floor of the backup base before quickly scanning the bunks. He saw all of the others asleep. He glanced around a second time just to make sure they really were asleep. He lifted up his left leg pant and fiddled around with the metal.

That's when he realized he didn't see Tori or Darcie in any of the bunks.

He lowered the pant leg and went to the railing. He looked around, then he jumped up and over the railing. He was closer to the ground when his right foot snagged on something. He landed on his chest, his left leg made quite the racket and then had two other beings land on him.

"What the hell?" Darcie asked.

"When did the floor become soft yet boney? Did someone let a walker in?" Tori asked, a yawn ending her question.

"What the hell was that sound?" Kaylie asked.

"Kaylie what did I tell you about swearing?" Levi said.

"Hell isn't a swear. It's a place," Kaylie replied.

"She's right. Hell is just a place," Hunter said.

"Anyways, Hunter, did you fall or did you jump?" Darcie asked.

"Yes."

"Yes what?" Tori asked.

Hunter tried to look at her.

"Yes!

"That doesn't- Oh. He jumped then fell," Tori said.

"Good job. Now get off," Hunter tried to get out from under the two girls.

Darcie laid down completely on Hunter.

"You know...this is a good spot."

Tori lay across Darcie's mid-section.

"You are not allowed to move from this spot. You woke us up. Pay the price," Tori said.

Hunter growled, but he stayed put.

"Why are you letting them lay on you?" Levi asked, walking down the stairs.

"I'm hungover and they are soft," Hunter responded.

Darcie and Tori both sat up and looked at Hunter.

"What?" Darcie asked.

"Quiet," Hunter rumbled.

Levi just accepted it. He knew his cousin was odd. There was a chance his brain was burnt after Hunter was struck by lightning. Kaylie, wrapped in a blanket, slid down the stair well. Levi watched the patchwork lump slide down the stairs.

"What are you doing, worm?" Levi asked.

"I'm not walking today."

"Good plan," Hunter mumbled through Darcie's hair, as it fell over his face when she laid back down.

Kaylie crawled over to where Hunter and the other girls were and sat on Hunter with them.

"Does anyone realize that we should be kids but we aren't kids anymore?" Anthony asked.

Everyone looked at Anthony. Both Darcie and Tori pointed at Kaylie.

"She's an exception. But come on. We are all still teenage-"

"Levi and Travis are technically adults. Eighteen plus is adult," Hunter interrupted.

"Whatever! We're too young for this! We are teens. We have to act like adults!"