Chapter 12 - Bruises and Burns

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage."

-Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hunter walked down the gravel road in the woods. He had a duffle bag on his back.

"Damned metal. Too bloody heavy. At least we can finally get out of this hell hole. Head to a smaller community."

Hunter walked up to the truck he had hidden. He set the bag down and started to remove the tree branches he had placed on the truck to hide it.

No walkers had gotten to the truck.

He glanced into the side mirror. A dull glow reflected off of it from where his eyes were. He snarled at them.

"If you turn into a nightmare while at the base, I will personally tear out your own heart and crush it," he snarled.

Hunter turned away from the mirror and went to the bag on the ground. He took out tools and some scrap metal. He started with the holes in the sides. Once those were done, he went to the motor and started to look around where it was broken. Hunter found the area.

"Good thing I found what I need for that," he said to himself.

He put the engine back together and he tested it by turning the key and starting the vehicle. It rumbled and started.

"That's good, that's good," he whispered.

He turned off the vehicle. As Hunter was putting the branches back on the truck, he noticed a wire in the wrong place.

"What the-"

He grabbed the wire and found where it was supposed to go. Hunter attached the wire and sparks flew everywhere. It burnt his arm. Hunter just yelled. The curse word he hollered, echoed through the forest. If there was any living humans near by, they might have turned the other way, because it didn't sound anything like a human. Hunter held the burnt limb and growled.

"Shit, I think even the walkers would understand that sound."

Hunter did a quick glance around him, no walkers.

"Good," he said, then continued hiding the truck.

Once he was done, he hid the bag of tools and scrap metal under the truck and he left. He started talking to himself

"Wonder if Levi is back in the land of the living?"

Then he started laughing maniacally.

Tori placed the cool, damp cloth on Levi's forehead.

"You need anything?" Darcie asked from the door.

"Yeah. Make sure no one comes in here. Pretty much all of you guys lack compassion," Tori instructed.

Darcie nodded and exited the basement, shutting the door behind her. Leo and Travis had moved Levi's unconscious body to the medical ward. Dawson had already checked as much as he could. He couldn't do any more tests until Levi was awake.

"Can you just wake up already?" Tori asked the unconscious body.

Levi stirred slightly. Tori dabbed the cloth slightly on his forehead. Levi's grey eyes slowly opened.

"What the fuck? Where the fuck am I?" Levi asked.

"You're in the medical ward."

"Why?"

"Take a guess. I'll give you a hint. It has to deal with the psychopathic blonde in your family."

"Hunter punched me in the head?"