Chapter 4 - Leo Zaryn

"The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other."

*Ten years earlier; Start of the apocalypse*

          A seven year old male with midnight black hair and bright crystal blue eyes looked at his identical twin brother. They were waiting for their mother's response. Their older brother was possibly going to give them a ride in his helicopter.

          "Leo, Raymond."

          The boys looked up at their mother.

          "The two of you can go with your brother. Only for a short fly, okay?"

         "Okay mom," both said.

They ran off to find their older brother.

          The twins found their brother at his helicopter. He was putting some supplies in the small storage bay.

          "Ready to head out you two?" Cole asked when he saw his brothers.

          Both started to jump up and down. They were really excited. Cole laughed at his brothers.

"Well let's go then."

         All three of them got into the helicopter. Cole started up the helicopter, pushing buttons and pulling levers. He put on his helmet.

           "Everyone buckled up?" he asked.

          Leo and Raymond both gave him thumbs up. The helicopter's propellers started spinning. The engine started roaring louder and louder.

          "Both of you might want to hold onto something. It's going to get bumpy," Cole said through the headset.

Leo and Raymond grabbed onto something stable beside them, just as the helicopter was lifting into the air. It rattled and shook as it ascended.

Once in the air, Cole looked back at his brothers. Leo was looking out the window in amazement. Raymond was looking around, possibly trying to find out how they stayed in the air.

"Cole, how are we staying up?" Raymond asked his brother.

Leo looked at his twin and shook his head. It was because it is magic, right?

"A rotating propeller creates changes in air pressure, lowering it in some areas and raising it in others. Combined with a specially curved wing, the effect is known as lift, and it's what allows helicopters to lift off the ground vertically. Without some sort of rotary propeller system, the aircraft would never leave the ground," Cole looked back, "You got that? I'm surprised that this old thing hasn't fallen out of the sky on us yet. It was made way before mom and dad. Made back in 2078. It's around a hundred years old."

This caused Leo to look up from his current viewing point. The helicopter was one hundred years old. It shouldn't still be able to fly. That's not possible.

"Cole, is the helicopter safe?" Leo asked.

"It should be fairly safe. But that is one of the things you don't have to worry about Leo. I triple checked everything. They were all in great condition," Cole told his brother.

Leo still didn't trust the helicopter. He looked back out his window. He spotted a huge group of people wandering down the street at a very slow pace.

"Hey Raymond. Look out the window at those people."

Raymond looked out at them.

"They walk funny. What do you think is wrong with them?"