Chapter 20 - The Shredded

"No mistake is a minor or major one until it costs someone their life."

The group ran into the second bases yard. Anthony set Kaylie down. Travis found the keys and unlocked the door. They stepped inside and ditched the bags immediately.

"Okay. We should probably do a roll call to make sure we didn't lose anyone," Darcie said to Travis.

"You're right. Darcie, can you deal with that?"

"Yup."

She counted everyone in the room and noticed they were one short. She checked names and realized Levi wasn't there.

"Hey. Did Levi ever come out of the basement?" Darcie asked her brother.

"I counted him beforehand."

"The door to the basement was shut. Levi was never with us," Kaylie said.

"Travis? Are you sure you counted Levi or did you count Leo twice in a panic?" Darcie asked.

Travis dropped the bag he was holding.

"Fuck," he muttered.

Darcie's jaw dropped.

"You fucking idiot!" Leo yelled. "We don't even look the same!"

"Black hair and light eyes, your blue tints from your eyes in his hair, pale skin, and your names are almost the same," Dawson pointed out.

"For fuck's sake. We have to go back!" Kaylie yelled.

Everyone looked at the small child.

"What? I spend too much time with Hunter, Levi, and Darcie. I know all of the swears."

"What about-"

Anthony put his hand over Darcie's mouth before she taught the child a new swear word.

"She already knows it so you don't need to repeat it."

Darcie sent her elbow into Anthony's ribs and he removed his hand.

"But we should go back," Dawson said.

"Probably. If the door's shut, he might have a few minutes. Besides, the walkers will fall down the stairs which will give him even more of a fighting chance," Travis reasoned.

"You sound like you don't want to go back," Darcie pointed out to her brother.

"Let's go damn it!" Kaylie yelled.

She was standing over by the door.

"Follow the pissed off child!" Leo said.

"Leo," Darcie warned.

Kaylie started running off the yard.

"Shit. Get the kid!" Dawson yelled.

He started running and was soon followed by Anthony and Leo.

"Ladies first." Darcie joked.

Travis rolled his eyes and ran after the others, Darcie close behind.

"Anyone catch Kaylie yet?" Darcie yelled at the males leading the pact.

At the lack of an answer, she picked up her pace and plucked Kaylie right off of her feet. Once the child was in her arms, she stopped running. The boys kept running towards the base though.

"Kid, you can't run off like that. The last time you did something like this, you got badly hurt and almost died. If we lose you, Levi will have our heads."

Kaylie crossed her arms and glared at a tree.

"Can we just go and find Levi?" the child asked.