34

Picture: Phoenix Falls

"Thanks Connor, we'll let you know in the next few days if you're our new drummer." Luke glanced down at the clip board and ruled a thick line through Connor Smith's name as he walked off the stage.

Mr. Johnson had been cool enough to let us use the auditorium for auditions during free period. Calum claimed it was because he felt bad for me after all that had happened. Either way, Luke was pumped to get started on the auditions. The auditorium had a main stage, with cinema-like seats. It was mostly used for the school plays and drama class.

Last week he plastered the hallways with flyers that called for a drummer. To my surprise, around twenty kids signed up. Six of them turned out to be freshman, which Luke merely dismissed after a few minutes. So far I would only rate about three of the drummers. That didn't include Connor.

"Did you seriously just let Preacher Connor play for five minutes?" Calum hissed at Luke. "I think my ears are bleeding."

"Preacher Connor?" Michael perked up. He had been pretty silent during auditions. He didn't know half the kids, so he merely sat up the back with his feet resting up on the top of the chairs.

"He was a pretty cool kid up until eight grade," Calum breathed, getting ready to go into great detail about the decline of Connor's social status. I, however, was not in the mood, so I decided to cut his montage short.

"He's extremely Christian." I clarified. "He preaches, like, at least twice a day. He used to be the school whore until he found God. Now all he does is throw condoms and pregnancy tests at freshman." I rolled my eyes. "Extreme weirdo. Definitely not band material."

Luke shrugged. "I was feeling adventurous."

"I think you mean generous." I muttered under my breath. "I don't think Connor even likes us."

"Well, I did draw a dick on the table in maths. He's had it in for me ever since." Calum pointed out. "Apparently it was a hit to his faith, like man, I'm sorry my dick-drawing skills offend you."

"Dick-drawing skills?" The corner of Michael's lip curled. "Impressive, Cal."

"Fuck off." He rolled his eyes. "I'm not claiming to be an artist but I can draw a good dick."

"Why the fuck are you talking about drawing dicks?" Luke whined, completely put off by the subject.

"Because he's interested in dicks. I mean, can you blame him? It's not like he has one or anything." I shrugged innocently, earning a chuckle from Michael and a sneer from Calum.

I didn't care much. The chuckle from Michael was worth it.

"Alright, whatever, Connor is a no-go. Who's next?" Calum asked, peering over Luke's shoulder.