27

The only thing consuming my mind was guilt. For what I did to Luke, for what I've potentially done to Michael and the pain I'd no doubt eventually cause Ashton.

I had spent the last half hour twiddling around on my phone. I had written countless text messages to Luke, all of which had been deleted moments later. Michael was also getting a lot of texts that failed to be sent. I kept thinking maybe I should tell him not to come tonight, but I knew it'd be inevitable.

He'd probably just rock up at my doorstep anyway, no matter what I said or asked of him. He wouldn't let me see Ashton alone if he thought Ashton was capable of murder.

So, Calum and Michael would be present tonight regardless of what I said. It had been two hours since my fight with Luke but it felt like years. I absently chewed on my lower lip, wondering if he'd even want to come tonight if I re-invited him.

Luke and I had both tossed around a lot of harsh words. I'm not sure if I even meant half of them. It was more or less said for maximum impact. I was trying to hurt him and he was trying to hurt me. We both succeeded.

Before I had time to write a decent apology to Luke, my phone buzzed in my hands, alerting me of an incoming text.

From Luke:

we're both idiots, yeah? i'm sorry about all that shit i said to you. you didn't deserve it.

I immediately let out a sigh of relief. Luke and I had been friends for so fucking long, and this stupid fight was something that had emerged from exhaustion and shock.

To Luke:

Either did you. I'm really sorry, Luke. For everything.

I let my phone slide out of my hand as I leant against the couch. I felt so overwhelmed with the days events. I couldn't even sleep it all off, knowing that in four hours, I'd be hearing what could possibly break or make me.

I ran my fingers through my hair, gnawing down on my lower lip as I sat on the edge of my bed. My thoughts were spiraling all over the place when I heard someone knocking on the front door. Hesitantly, I scooted off the bed and padded through the living room.

I wasn't as surprised as I should've been when I opened the door to see Michael standing there sheepishly. I closed my eyes briefly before opening them again.

"Hey," He murmured, leaning against the doorframe. "Thought I'd come keep you some company before we go and meet up with Ashton."

I nodded quietly, before stepping aside and letting him inside. Michael didn't seem to notice my hesitant behavior, because seconds later he was grinning loosely.

"You didn't have to come over..." I said gently but Michael didn't seem to be put-off.

"I figured your parents were going to the same charity ball that mine are," Michael explained as he walked into the kitchen. "I also assumed you weren't going to cook yourself dinner so I've decided to cook you some stir fry."