31

"And then I told Calum that he owed me fifty bucks, because you know, I did it. Then he refused to hand over the money and I was about to punch him in his goddamn smirky face." Luke huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

I twirled my pen idly. "Did you get your money?"

"No." Luke grumbled. "Michael came in and settled the entire argument, saying how betting fifty dollars to see if I could fit my fist in my mouth was a stupid idea."

"I would've at least tried to negotiate it down to twenty-five dollars." My eyes scanned the black board. "Fifty is aiming a bit far. Calum doesn't even have a job. You've got to learn to pick your audience, Luke."

"That's why you should've been there to defend my honour!" Luke protested before leaning back against his seat.

"I was washing my hair." I stated easily, having no guilt for missing out on this bet.

Even though I wasn't looking at him, I could tell he was rolling his eyes. "Aren't you the slightest bit impressed that I actually did it?"

"Not really." Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. "You bragged about that talent all throughout sixth grade." I used the word 'talent' loosely.

"You gotta flaunt what yo mumma gave ya." Luke drawled.

"I don't think Liz would want any association with you." I pointed out. "You're a disappointment."

"Fair call." Luke shrugged. "She didn't seem too impressed about the naked girl she found in my bed the other night."

"I wonder why." I smirked, sarcasm lacing my tongue but I was slightly interested about Lukes sex life. "Who's the poor girl?"

"You wouldn't know her." Luke said absently, his attention on a girl in the front row. "She doesn't really run with our crowd."

"Our 'crowd' is currently the outcasts." I reminded him. "Being involved with a murder mystery tends to do that." I tapped on the desk. "High School is so trivial."

I don't think Luke was listening to my mini rant. He seemed pretty fixated on this girl. I couldn't help but admire her hair. It was long, black and curling slightly at the edges. However, I don't think Luke was staring at her and thinking solely about how nice it would be to braid that hair.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Luke mumbled, tearing his eyes away from her and glancing at me.

"Thanks for the acknowledgement." I nudged him on the shoulder. "Who is she?"

"No one."

"The no one?"

"What the hell are you trying to hint at?" Luke laughed, clearly not understanding where I was going. "Subtly is not your forte."