11

Bursts of white light blinded me as I peered through my heavily crusted eyelashes. I groaned, my head throbbing at the sudden light. My entire body had this dull ache running through it, so I didn't try to sit up.

"Dan, she's waking up!" I heard my mother's hysterical voice before I saw her. It was around that time that all the memories came flooding back to me.

"Sydney!" I gasped, jerking upright, only to cry out in pain. 

I glanced down and saw the standard hospital gown covering my legs. I didn't a quick once over and decided that I had no broken bones, a thudding pain in my head and a few scratches.

Before I had time to ask about Sydney's condition Mum and Dad were rushing over to stand by my bed. Mum grabbed my face carefully and peppered kisses all over me, whilst Dad just squeezed my shoulder.

"Oh honey, I'm so glad you're awake." Mum started tearing up. "You had us so worried..." Her breathe hitched before she covered her mouth and backed away.

"The Doctors said everything seemed to be fine," Dad cleared up for me, remaining calm. "You had a concussion but you're all okay." He nodded firmly, as if trying to convince himself instead of me.

"I'm hungry," I blurted out, unsure what my parents wanted to hear me say. Mum laughed tearfully and just fanned her eyes. She was trying not to cry. I gave a weak smile as Dad patted my shoulder again.

"I'll go get you something." He nodded, before looking over at Mum. "Come on, Katherine. Let's leave these kids alone."

"Kids?" My eyes darted around the room before landing on Michael.

Oh my god. My cheeks burned with embarrassment as I frantically tried to comb through my dreadlocked hair.

"You look fine," Michael said quietly, walking over and placing his hands on top of mine. He slid them down back into my lap and smiled softly. "Are you okay? I can leave if you want—"

I shook my head carefully. That's not what I wanted. "How long have you been here?"

"About two hour—"

"I've been out two hours?" I gasped in surprise. "Holy shit, wait—you've been here for two hours? Why?" I frowned.

"I needed to make sure you were okay." Michael looked a bit shy as he began to fidget with his fingers. "I was worried, alright? I don't like the sound of you being in a car crash."

"Oh." I blushed, my voice still hoarse. "Well... thanks. Sorry for standing you up." I added, remembering that I was supposed to meet him at my house.

"It's okay, cleaning the house isn't a great first date anyway." Michael sat down in the chair next to my bed and I propped myself up.

"Date?" I raised my eyebrow with a mock grin. I was beginning to speak clearer now. "Why, Michael Clifford, you never told me this was a date."

"Well, I willingly agreed to helping you clean the house. The least you can do is give me a date." He smirked.

"I think I can manage." I smiled softly, playing with my fingers before I got the courage to ask the dreaded question. "How is Sydney?"

The last thing I remembered about the car crash was seeing her lying on the side of the road like a broken rag doll. I screwed my eyes shut, trying to burn that memory out of my mind.

"She was rushed into surgery when you first got here. I think she's out now." Michael said lightly, reaching over and intertwining our fingers.

"Surgery." I repeated, trying not to let those traitor tears leak from my eyes. "She's... she's okay now though, right?" I asked desperately.