Chapter 17

'Parker, why aren't you in bed?' Macy questioned, as she removed her heels.

'Mum, Twain brought me a box of chocolates. He said I may have two, but I only had three. You're not going to take it ___.'

'Twain?' Macy's heart stopped beating. Her brain froze or stopped functioning, she could not tell. 'He was here?'

And that's when her eye caught the stunning red roses on display in the vase. She tried to swallow, the saliva felt like cardboard passing through her windpipe. It was painful.

'Let's get you to bed,' Macy smiled at Parker.

'You won't take my chocolates away will you, mum?'

'As long as you go easy on the stuff,' she took his hand and led him to his bed. Macy saw the huge tray on Parker's bedside table.
Swiss chocolates! Don't we have expensive taste.

Good night,' Macy cupped his face affectionately. 'Did you brush your teeth?'

'Yes,' he smiled, parting his lips and displaying his teeth for her inspection.

'Shall I put the light out?' Macy murmured.

'Yes,' he nodded and promptly closed his eyes.

Macy wanted to call Twain, but first, she walked to her mum's bedroom.

'Hi dear. Enjoyed the movie?'

'Yes thanks,' Macy nodded. She had watched some of it, when her mind had not been wondering when she would see Twain again.
'Twain was here?' She asked tentatively.

'Yes,' her mum nodded absently. 'I told him you were at the movies with Alec.'

Macy shut her eyes momentarily.

'He was so thoughtful,' Claudia smiled.

Macy's eyes opened again.

'He not only brought you roses. He bought chocolates for Parker and Turkish Delight for me.'

'I believe so,' Macy murmured. 'Did he seem ___ upset?'

'No,' Claudia shook her head. 'Why would he be? Alec is your colleague.'

Right! 'Good night,' Macy hugged her mum. 'See you in the morning.'

Macy got into her bedroom and shut the door. She scrolled down her phone, selected Twain's number, but hesitated, she did not have the courage to hit the call button.
I have to do this. I have to do this.

She took a huge breath, drawing air into her lungs and pressed the call button.

'Oh, you're back from painting the town red with Stuart are you?' Twain's thunderous voice screamed down at her from the ear piece.

'You said you were attending that gala,' she mumbled, guiltily.

That had been Twain's intention. He had confirmed his attendance, but as he'd donned his tux, he'd had an overwhelming desire to see Macy and Parker and had summarily taken the next flight home. He had rushed straight to Macy's ...only she was out, getting fresh with another man!

'So you couldn't wait for my back to be turned, to start playing around.'

'I only went out with Alec___ there's nothing going on between us.'

'Are you denying that Stuart wants you in his bed?' Twain's deafening voice ravaged her ear again.

She was not denying anything. She just wanted to inform him that nothing happened between her and Alec. It had been an innocent outing ... on her part.