Chapter 3

Parker tiptoed into his mum's bedroom early on Sunday morning with toast and coffee for her. He was impatient for her to wake up.

'Good morning. Where's yours,' she smiled sleepily.

'Morning mum. I had the leftover chicken from last night,' he hopped onto her bed.

'Thank you Parker,' she hugged him.

Parker watched as his mum nibbled on her toast. He looked downcast.

'What's wrong darling,' she gently applied pressure on his shoulder.

Parker studied his hands. His thick lashes furrowed over his cheekbones. 'I know Sunday is your only day off mum, but Sammy's dad is taking her to the park.'

Macy stopped chewing on her toast. 'Hey come in here,' she lifted the duvet.

'Mum,' he groaned, ' I'm too big to get in your bed.'

'I know,' she laughed softly, 'but just this once, please.'

'Okay,' he sighed, removed his slippers and hopped in. 'And don't complain my feet are cold,' he warned.

'I won't,' she grinned impishly. 'So why can't we go to the park today?' She draped an arm around his neck smotheringly.

'You're tired and you need to rest.'

'It's not like I'm going to sleep the whole day away,' she dusted crumbs of toast from her night dress.

'All right,' he smacked a high five with his mum. 'So you will play baseball with me.'

'Okay, but you always hit the ball so hard,' she complimented subtly, 'and I have to run so far to get it,' she laughed.

'I'll go easy on you today mum,' he smiled, feeling proud at his adeptness with the bat.

'You ready Parker?' Macy prepared to throw the ball.

'Ready mum,' Parker grinned. He swung the bat about as he timed the ball. Macy took her time positioning her throw so it would land smack on the bat. They had been playing for about half an hour when Macy picked up the bat to have her turn, when she looked up, could not find Parker.

Parker had run to a little boy whose nose was bleeding after being accidently hit by a soccer ball from his own father.

'My mum's a doctor,' Parker proudly boasted.

'Parker! Where are you?' Macy looked around when Parker was not at the spot she expected him to bowl from.

'Mum, here ___ help!'

Macy dropped the bat. She rushed to Parker. 'What's the matter?'

'It was an accident,' the father spoke anxiously. 'I ___ was trying to hit it just over his head.'

'Parker, grab my bag from the boot.'

Macy dropped down on her knees. 'Will you lean forward for me?' Macy smiled.

'I will mess my shirt,' the boy protested.

'Your shirt can get washed out,' Macy spoke softly.'

Nervously, the boy came forward.

Macy's gentle fingers very carefully examined the little boy's head and face. There were no serious injuries to the head. 'This won't hurt,' Macy smiled encouragingly. 'I'm just going to apply pressure for five minutes between the tissue and the bridge of your nose to stop the bleeding.'

The boy nodded sceptically.

'It's just a mild nose bleed,' Macy looked up at the apprehensive father. 'Nothing broken. He should be fine.'