Chapter 4

• Dedicated to upwiththerain

Macy was rather pleasantly surprised when Parker climbed into her bed.

'Hey, I have to beg you to cuddle up with me,' Macy laughed, putting her book down. She'd been staring at the same page, hardly focusing much since she climbed into bed some thirty minutes ago.

'I've come to share my chocolate with you mum.'

'Oh, sweetheart, I've brushed my teeth already.' She could tell he'd already brushed his teeth as well.

Chocolate or trying to eat anything for that matter, was so the last thing on her mind, after bumping into Twain in the supermarket. 'I thought you were asleep already,' she leaned over and kissed his cheek.

'You hardly had your supper mum,' he looked up at her, his eyes unsmiling.

'Oh Parker,' she drew him into her arms, hugging him to her bosom. 'I'm sorry. I just was not hungry.'

'But you love fish and chips.'

She inhaled heavily. 'I promise tomorrow, I'll eat two portions of dinner,' she smiled.

'Okay,' he toyed with the chocolate bar.

'I'd much prefer it if you don't have that slab of chocolate tonight,' Macy pleaded.

Parker smiled up at his mum. 'I'll take it to school tomorrow.'

'Thank you,' she ruffled his hair. Macy cleared her throat. 'I know that you're a big guy and all that,' she smiled hopefully, 'but would you like to stay with mum tonight.'

He searched his mum's face. Her eyes looked sad even though she smiled at him brightly. And she had been frightened in the supermarket when that stranger had stood there looking at her. Didn't she know when he was with her, his mum need not fear?

'Sure mum,' he nodded, sliding down onto the spare pillow. 'Good night,' he hugged his mum.

'Night Parker. Oh, come here,' she gathered him closer in her arms.

Parker laughed, pleased to see a happy smile on his mum's beautiful face.

Macy cradled her son in her arms like he was a still toddler. Her mind wandered to Twain. What had he thought when he'd seen Parker? Could he tell Parker's was his son? Fear suddenly gripped her. What if he demanded custody? Macy's arms tightened protectively around Parker.
No! I will fight him. Parker is my baby.
She pressed her lips against his temple. Parker feeling too warm, kicked at the blankets. Macy smiled. She was obviously smothering him and shifted a little away from him.

The following morning, fear irrationally permeated the air around Macy. She did not feel like getting out of bed. She did not feel like going to work either. Infact she had the most ridiculous thought, to call in sick! How absurd was that? If she was not so anxious, she would have laughed at the insane thought. Would Twain come and demand answers? What if he demanded a more prominent role in Parker's life? What if ___ what if Twain demanded they get married? No! She would not allow that. She was not going to marry him just to legitimize their son's existence. She could not think of anything more preposterous than being forced to marry a man who did not love her... irrespective of her own feelings. Macy groaned silently. She was last this queasy, when she'd been pregnant with Parker.

She smiled thinking about that. She still remembered it well. Her pregnancy was a breezy ride in the park. Macy had enjoyed every minute of it. She suffered no morning sickness. She had been tiny up until the eighth month. Thankfully she had not been in labour for a protracted time. Parker was born within forty minutes of her first contraction. She could not say it was painless or effortless, but when she'd been presented with this gorgeous little guy screaming his lungs out, Macy had cried with evident pleasure when the nurse had placed him against her bosom. Parker had looked towards her face and had howled even louder as if demanding, "feed me woman!"