Chapter 13

'You better leave,' Macy speared him with a hostile glare.

'This discussion is not over,' Twain tugged at his sleeves angrily.

Macy opened Parker's door. 'Twain's leaving,' she announced. It was her cue to Parker that they could go down for dinner.

'Good,' Parker announced, coming to the door. He frowned at Twain menacingly.

'Good night Parker,' Twain greeted, unfazed, by his son's dismissive stance.

Macy rushed behind Twain to let him out. Parker followed supportively.

'Ah, just in time,' Claudia smiled. 'Stay for dinner.' She extended the invitation to Twain. 'There's an extra piece of juicy sirloin.'

'He ___ has plans.' Macy attempted to discourage Twain from staying.

'Nothing that can't wait,' Twain smiled devilishly. 'Thank you Claudia,' Twain directed a charismatic smile in her direction.

Macy's eyes bore into him angrily. Couldn't he just leave?

The table had been set for four with the mouth-watering steaks along with fresh garden peas, sweet potatoes, broccoli and a salad. Purposely, Parker seated himself at the head of the table. Macy was about to relegate him to one of the chairs to the side, when Twain, imperceptibly stopped her. He merely shook his head, but she understood the coded command.

'Shall I say grace mum?'

'Sure,' Macy took the chair opposite Twain. Claudia took the seat opposite Parker.

'Dear God, we thank you for our lovely meal tonight, in Jesus' Name. Amen!'

The adults had barely lifted their bowed heads, when Parker helped himself to two steaks, put one in his mum's plate and another in his grandma's plate.

Macy stared wide-eyed at Parker. She could not believe her son was being so inhospitable.

'Have mine.'

Macy and Claudia simultaneously offered their plates to Twain.

'I'll just have ___ some of the vegetables,' Twain politely declined. His eyes briefly swept over the broccoli, as he furnished both ladies, with a charming smile.

'No,' Macy sighed, placing her plate in front of Twain and taking his empty plate.

'Sheepishly, Parker offered his mum the bigger steak from his plate.'

'Thank you Parker.'

Grudgingly, Parker's eyes shifted, glaringly at the intruder at their dinner table.

'Mum___,' Parker murmured softly. 'I'm not having that,' Parker strategically shifted the broccoli towards Twain, whilst he cast a guilty look towards his grandma.

From the day he was able to speak, Parker vehemently expressed his total dislike for broccoli. Macy had always found it amusing.

That ill-famed night, ten years ago when she'd offered Twain a meal. He'd said, "anything but broccoli." Like father....like son then?

Her eyes lifted to Twain now. He seemed amazed that Parker shared his dislike for the unpleasant vegetable. Twain very clearly heard Parker's refusal and evidently, the last portion in the bowl was Twain's, unless he planned on offending Claudia.

Twain's eyes returned to Macy's for a second before they fell to the offensive green sprouts.

'Mum, do we have any wine left?' Macy attempted damage control.

'I think there's that opened bottle of Merlot, Don left here last week,' she rose to go in search of the wine in the kitchen.

Macy quickly emptied the broccoli into her own plate, whilst Twain tucked into his scrumptious looking steak.