Chapter 16

Hey Mace, go out with me tonight,' Alec came bouncing into Macy's surgery.

'What?' Macy exclaimed, looking up confused, from the list of medication she was ordering for the pediatric ward.

'You know, you, me ___ on a date.'

'No thank you,' she brushed him off, none too kindly.

Alec groaned loudly. 'Macy, is there a possibility, you're going to hook up with him?'

'Excuse me?'

'The loser you're pining for Macy. You know ___ Parker's father. You've never been with a man since ___.'

'Get out Alec!' Macy stood up. She was incensed at his impertinence.

'Fine, just dump on me, like I'm the trash can,' Alec gave her the wounded look.

'Stop trying to look like the victim here Alec,' she sliced an accusing finger in his direction. 'You know Twain was right about you!

'Whoa! "Twain!" 'So you're on first name basis with the boss man?'

Macy coloured. Her palm brushed at the heated flesh at her neck.

'Well, what do you call him?'

'Dr. Crawford, like every other staff member does!' Alec wagged a finger at her. 'You've got the hots for him, haven't you?' he sneered.

She'd stopped calling him "Dr. Crawford," now that they'd had rather an intimate liaison, besides it seemed ludicrous when Twain was the father of her child and he was badgering her to marry him.

Macy silently cringed. 'More psycho‑analysis,' she rolled her eyes, defectively.

'Mmm, perhaps not,' Alec was contemplative. 'I mean if a virile, sexy stud like myself does not turn you on, how can Crawford, who just arrived on our doorstep?'

'I want you to leave my surgery Alec,' Macy was getting bored.

Alec laughed. 'So what did Crawford say about me?' he quizzed.

'Something along the lines of you being a consummate flirt,' she smiled, raising her eyebrows as she held the door open for him to leave.

'Don't know what you missing, saying no to me, Mace,' he grinned.

'I'll take my chances,' she smiled sarcastically.

      'Dr. Skye,' Nurse Julia burst into Macy's surgery as Alec left. 'Little baby Alex is not responding to his medication.'

Macy listened, though she understood Alex's dilemma. 'Acute otitis media would cause extreme pain, Nurse Julia. 'Coupled to that baby Alex's hearing is affected and the earache has brought on a fever.'

'Can't we increase the dosage of his painkillers, please?'

'No! Absolutely not,' Macy disallowed. 'Baby Alex is already receiving the maximum dosage for toddlers under three. A higher dosage will be fatal.'

'But we've all failed to pacify him,' a look of resignation covered her face. 'Myself, Nurse Abbey, even the intern. 'He refused his breakfast, now he refuses to eat his lunch. We've tried everything.'

Macy stood up. 'I cannot increase his medication,' she shook her head, determinedly. She began walking when her mobile rang.

'Dr. Skye,' she answered absently.

'Did I tell you, you're the sexiest doctor I know?' Twain's racy voice flirted in her ear.

Heat flamed her face. 'You don't know many doctors then,' she murmured uncomfortably, Her eyes shifted away from the nosey Nurse Julia who was straining her ear to catch who Macy was on call with. Macy picked up her stethoscope and walked out of her surgery.
'I'm working. What do you want?' She spoke softly into the phone.