63. "HALSEY MADE ME GAY"

I put up the "Ghost" video and it's about this lesbian relationship. I'm bisexual so it's my opportunity to take heteronormativity out of this world of media and culture and blah blah blah. And also I just wanted to piss off Capitol because they were like, "cool, we're going to cast you a guy" and I was like, "fuck you, don't assume that I want a guy in my video, fuck off!". I'm consistently the devil's advocate.

Then the comments underneath the video are "Halsey made me gay", 'Halsey's so hot, she made me gay' and they don't understand that through this hyper-sexualised culture, what they think they're doing is being accepting of homosexuality and really what they're doing is insinuating that gay is something that you can be made, and that is counter-productive to my MO. My MO is to normalise it, to make it understood. Comments like that come from this hyper-sexualised nature of the internet, this hyper-sensitive political correctness, and this crazy, crazy world of awareness. I think it's positive, but there are products of it that are not positive, like kids saying, "Halsey made me gay". I get what you're trying to do, but it's counter-productive because you don't understand.

(taken from http://www.popjustice.com/articles/halsey-interview-i-dont-believe-people-who-say-theyre-themselves-all-the-time/139218/)