Johnny's POV

Yay! 20th chapter!

-MelodySmith7258

-------------------------------------------------------------

My vision was slightly blurry when I opened my eyes. So I closed and shook my head, remembering everything that had happened yesterday. Melody was the first word that popped into my mind. After seeing her run off like that, I don't know, I just had this weird rush of courage, and I.....heh, well, I comforted her. So that happened, and despite myself, my heart did a little skip in my chest at the thought of seeing her again. When we came over to two-bit's, she had made it clear that she wasn't spending the night, and....Idiot! Im such an idiot! I fell asleep before I could walk her home! What if something happened, what of she got jumped, what if she's in trouble, what if...I opened my eyes with a jolt, and did a double take at the scene before me. I had fallen asleep to dirty clothes covering the floors, dirty windows, and a not so pleasant smell. Now, I was greeted with the aroma of windex, clean, swept floors, and spotless windows. What!?

"Two-Bit! Look!" I said, shaking two-bit, who was asleep next to me on the couch, awake.

"Wha...? Whats up Johnnyca-......what the!? What happened?" Two-bit sat up immediately, looking around in wonder. I stood up too, further examining the house. Everything had been dusted and throughly cleaned. But by who?

"Johnnycake, did you do this?" Two-bit asked me, looking at me skeptically. The gang knew I didn't care much about dirty floors or poor living conditions. My own house was a wreck.

"No, did your mom come back early or something?"

"Nope, she never comes home early, so who....Oh. ooooh." Two-bit said, smiling and shaking his head.

"What?" I asked him, confused.

"Its obvious isn't it?" I was about to say that it wasn't obvious, but then I realized what he was talking about. Melody. She cleaned two-bit's house while we were asleep. My heart filled with pride and happiness that I managed to pick up a girl like that. 

"Man, that is one girl, that Melody, boy howdy, I could kiss her for this." Two-bit said jokingly.

"Hey! Back off! Melody's my........" I trailed off when two-bot started cracking up.

"Ha! Shoot, you really fell for her Johnny?"

"Heh, I guess I sort of did...." I blushed, remembering yesterday with Melody.

"You better treat her good, if you want to keep her. A girl like that doesn't take any business from anyone." Two-bit told me knowingly.

"Boy do I know it." At that, Two-bit laughed again, and clapped me on the shoulder. I knew that deep down, he was just happy that I was talking, usually I didn't talk if I didn't have to. It was only when Melody showed up that I really started having conversations with people. And the boys knew it. At that moment, we heard the creak of a door opening, Two-bits mom, Amanda, coming home. Knowing how she would react, we met her at the door, before she could see the house. She didn't really look surprised to see that I was still there, I stayed at two-bits house kinda often. Most nights, if I'm not at home, I'm in the lot, or pony's place, or two-bits. Usually the lot though.

"Hey boys, how did you sleep?" She asked us, yawning. I liked Amanda, she was kind yet stern, and a hard worker. The only problem was, she worked herself too hard. Thats why she never had time to clean the house. Her schedule was work, sleep, eat, work, repeat. And yet she always asked us how we were.

"We're fine mom, but look at the house." Two-bit replied grinning. We stepped back to reveal the house, and when she saw how clean it was, her eyes widened, and she stumbled a bit in shock.

"Oh my.....oh!" We supported her when it looked like she was going to sink to her knees, but tears ran freely from her eyes, thankfully, they were tears of joy. She covered her mouth with her hand, and half-laughed, half-sobbed as she took in the house.

"Did you.....?" She choked out.

"Nah, it was Melody, that girl that was here last night." I told her.

"Johnny's girl." Two-bit added, smiling. But Amanda just smiled, still crying slightly. She worked so hard, and Two-bit never bothered to clean, so even something like cleaning the house meant the world to her. And this was no little act of kindness, I could only imagine how long it took Melody to do this. After Amanda recovered form her original shock, we walked throughout the house, seeing the extent of Melody's kindness. The dirty clothes had been picked up, washed, dryer, and folded neatly into baskets in the laundry room. The dishes had been washed and stacked in the cupboards, and the windows had been cleaned with windex. The floors had been swept and the table had been set with silverware and everything. All the furniture had been dusted, some of the carpet stains even seemed a little more faded, as if she had tried to clean them, but the stains were too old. Amanda hadn't said a word since  she asked who did it, but after we looked around the house, she just glanced sideways at me and said,

"Bless that girl, you treat her good Johnny Cade. You treat her real good. Bless her."