Waking up

The sound of the disney channel was the first thing that woke me up. Without opening my eyes, I shifted a little, and listened to what was going on around me.

"She up yet?" A voice yelled from another room. It sounded like Darry.

"Nope, sleeping beauty is still waiting for her prince to show up, ha!" Another voice said from close by. Sleeping beauty? how long was I out, the last thing I remembered was Johnny telling me that everything was alright, OMG did I black out again!?! Dang it! How was I supposed to look tuff around these guys if I keep blacking out?

"Two-Bit, what are you talking about?" That was Sodapop, Two-Bit must have been the one to make the sleeping beauty comment.

"Isn't it obvious! Open your eyes people!" was Two-Bits reply. I wonder what he meant by that. A knock was heard throughout the house.

"Hey, JohnnyCake's here!" Looks like Ponyboy was there too. Hmmm, Darry, Soda and Pony, I must be in there house....awkward. I could hear the front door opening, and the sound of footsteps.

"hey Johnny, how are ya?" Sodapop asked

"Im okay, how is Melody?" Johnny replied, I must have a lot of energy from sleeping so much, because my heartbeat sped up.

"She's doing alright, still sleeping, um, that cut on her cheek is starting to scar up though. She probably won't be too happy about that." Darry replied. What scar on my cheek? Wait, that cut that I got, it was going to be a scar!? Dang it.. it better make me at least look tuff. Speaking of cuts, I hope I can fix my jeans, but my TARDIS will probably have others. Okay, I was getting tired of just lying there, did I mention I was lying down? But still, I waited for the opportune moment.

"Why do socs' have to jump people? Its not fair, Melody was new here, she shouldn't have had to deal with that." Soda again.

"Nothing's fair. We're greasers, is just how it works, like it or lump it." Was Two-Bits reply.

"Yea, but hey, at least she managed to chase away those Soc's right? She only had that scar, and a few bruises visible. Besides, it makes her look tuff, huh?" Ponyboy said, and I saw my opportune moment arrive.

"I always look tuff." I said, stinging up with a sly grin on my face. I got a laugh from two-bit, a shy smile from Johnny, some surprised looks from Darry and Ponyboy, and a smile from Soda.

"Well look who finally woke up." Darry said, handing me a plate with a slice of chocolate cake on it. "Have some breakfast."

"How long have you been up?" Pony asked.

"Ever since Two-Bit made some remark about me waiting for my prince to show up cus i was sleeping beauty or something. And why am I eating cake for breakfast?"

"Thats just what we normally eat, either me or Darry makes one every morning." Soda said to me.

"How are you feeling?" Johnny asked me, looking worried."

"I feel fine" I reassured him "But someone mentioned me having a scar, and I wanna see what I look like!" With one swift movement, I got up from the couch that I had been sitting on, stumbled a bit, and walked over to a hanging mirror. Oh no..... My hair remained in its braid, so it wasn't too bad, but starts of hair were sticking out, and it was probably super oily. I had a cut on my bottom lip, and a bruise covering my left cheek. My right cheek however, was marred my a long cut that went from right next to my eye, narrowly missing it, going across my face diagonally until it reached just above my chin. My clothes were crumpled and probably stank, and over all, I was a complete mess. Oh god... I saw Johnny's face appear in the mirror next to me, and I wanted to curl up into a ball. He didn't look like he was judging me or anything, I just didn't want him to see me like this. Actually, Johnny was smiling softly. I had no idea why, I looked horrible, I was mortified. Slowly, I turned around, my eyes wide. At first Two-Bit chuckled, but then he saw the expression on my face and fell silent for once. Everyone just looked at me, and I wanted to dive under the table.

"The scar makes you look tuff huh?" Johnny said, trying to make things better. I appreciated the attempt, but......My face....oh no.

"I...look..." I said

"Tuff?" Johnny offered.

"Good?" Ponyboy said.

"Fine?" Soda said. I just stared at them mutely.

"Sorry, I'm sorry..." I said, and ran out the door. Oh no, I looked so bad, my TARDIS, I had to get to my TARDIS..... I could hear Johnny running after me, calling my name, but I wanted to cry. I knew I was overreacting, but I had been in there house for how long? How long had they been forced to look at my hideous face? The scar didn't make me look tuff, it just make me look abnormal. Now whenever I met people, the first thing they would notice about me would be my scar. So I ran. And Johnny followed. I stopped finally after the first block, and let him catch up to me.

"Melody...." His voice made me calm down, though my heart didn't quit pounding.

"Im sorry I-I overreacted a-and I just look s-so." I turned around to meet his eyes, feeling horrible. First I looked really bad, then I was just embarrassing myself.

"Melody. what are you talking about?" He asked me, smiling. I didn't know how he could stand to look at me.

"Well, I saw t-the mirror, and t-the bruise and the c-cut..the s-scar." Tears were starting to well up in my eyes, sliding down my cheeks. Reaching up, Johnny brushed away the tears, but left his hand lingering on my right cheek, right on top of the scar. I just stared into his eyes, my hearts doing acrobatics in my chest.

"Hasn't anyone ever told you that you always look beautiful?" He asked me, and as if that didn't catch me off-guard, he took a step closer to me, and kissed me softly.