Chapter 10

Rachel's P.O.V

I woke up, and my eyes fluttered open. Yes! I can open my eyes! I got the sudden urge to just get up and shake my booty off. Then I remembered I still didn't know what happened. Is Adam okay? He better be okay! But- what if he isn't? I couldn't stand to lose him again, this time for real. My eyes started tearing up just at the thought of it.

The door opened and I turned, hoping it was Adam. It was Kia, holding hands with Drew. Wait-holding hands?!

I faked a sniffle. -Though, considering everything that's happened, I'm not entirely sure it was fake- "I'm in the hospital, Adam's in the hospital, and you guys pick now to be all lovey-dovey? How selfish!" I exclaimed, half kidding.

Kia whispered something to Drew and he left.

"Rache, I'm sorry, it's just, this all happened so fast, and I was practically crying my eyes out, and he comforted me," she stopped to breathe. "And I guess I never realized what I felt for him." She finished.

"It's okay," I said. "I understand, I mean you can't pick when these things happen." I said.

There was silence. I broke it, saying, "Is Adam going to be okay? What happened?"

"I don't know. The doctors haven't said," my heart broke as she said this. If they haven't said anything about there being a good chance he was going to be okay, what kind of hope did that leave? The kind you had no matter what, even though you knew, and everyone else knew, that there really was no hope at all. Is that it?

"What happened?" I repeated.

Kia sighed. "Okay, I'll start at the beginning," she started. "When you called, I waited a few minutes, but you didn't come. I was getting worried. Then I remembered why you were coming over, and it all clicked.

"So, I called Adam, I was really freaked. I told him everything, and then he just dropped the phone, and ran." Kia looked down at her hands.

"Then, I got the whole story a few days ago," she said.

"Wait," I interrupted. "You said a few days ago, how long have I been out?" I asked incredulously.

"About two weeks," she answered in a quaky voice.

I let out a loud breath.

"Continue," I urged.

"Well, what happened after was Ricky was in your house, and when Adam barged in, he was about to rape you. So he tries to stop him, but Ricky threatens to kill you, pointing a gun to your head," I nodded, signaling that I remembered, and to continue.

"He threw something at Ricky, creating a distraction so you could run free. It worked for a few seconds, then Ricky aimed at you and shot, but," she stopped and looked at me.

"But, what?" I asked, frantic.

"He stepped in front of you, Rache. He took the bullet for you, right in the chest," Kia squeaked.

I stopped for a second, letting it all sink in. when it did, I let out a loud, shaky breath. Then I broke into hysterics. I just could not stop crying.

"Where.... is ..... he......?" I said, between sobs.

"He's in the intensive care unit," Kia answered.

"What's going to happen to him?" I asked.

"The doctors said... that..." Kia sighed. "They said it was unlikely he would make it. The bullet came too close to the heart," she said, eyes watering.

"This can't be happening, it shouldn't be happening! I should be the one dying! Not Adam!" I started crying again, this time, I didn't stop. I cried for hours, it seemed, until the doctor walked in and shushed me.

"I want to see him," I declared.

"But-" the doctor started.

"No buts, I said I want to see him and I will see him," I said in a fierce tone.

"Okay," he said, defeated.

I got up, falling as I did so. The doctor grabbed my arm and led me through the hospital. He stopped at a door, and opened it.